All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I have a wager going with my parents

+2
LyndaW
Eleanor
6 posters

Go down

I have a wager going with my parents Empty I have a wager going with my parents

Post by Eleanor Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:24 pm

Dempsey's terrible with the garden hose and has been since puppyhood. It started off as a fear of the hose, which, combined with his fear of water, got a lot worse. He now won't tolerate the hose anywhere near him.

Well, I've bet that I can do something with this in less than three months. Not expecting a miracle cure, but my aim is to have Dempsey standing in close proximity with the hose turned on. happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

I have a wager going with my parents Empty Re: I have a wager going with my parents

Post by LyndaW Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:43 pm

Well, good luck Eleanor.

Snakes ! ?
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

I have a wager going with my parents Empty Re: I have a wager going with my parents

Post by Eleanor Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:47 pm

Thanks! tongue I'll start working on it on Monday, if all goes to plan. Will start with the hose off, letting him sniff it. If he's alright with that, which he probably will be, I'll let it trickle slightly. He usually has a problem when it's turned on, but not when it's turned off.

Not sure Dempsey's ever actually seen a snake! tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:13 pm

Just mentioned snakes as a hose can look like one!

And .... primeval instinct?

I have never been afraid of snakes, nor was my husband, nor is my daughter. but from early childhood my son has been terrified of snakes and I can only put it down to primeval instinct, there is no other explanation.

So yes, take it slowly slowly and good luck!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:18 pm

Oh, I see! It's an interesting point, as I should imagine it could trigger some sort of instinct. Dempsey's problem seems to stem from the water aspect, though. As a pup, he used to attack the hose when it was turned on. My dad didn't really want to scold him at that age, bless him, so he got away with it.

The hose is now covered in punctures and the noise Dempsey makes is horrendous. There's also the problem of Dempsey swallowing water and coughing and spluttering, as well as his S.O.S. The stress of it could trigger an episode, which I'd sooner avoid, even though it isn't actually harmful to him.

Thanks! happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:31 pm

Actually, Kuchar is much the same with the vacuum cleaner (cylinder type so I push a brush to and fro). He attacks the head of the brush (also ordinary brushes and floor mops) and works himself up into a right old tizzy, so he pants and pants.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:39 pm

Weird - Dempsey does the same. I think it's probably because it's something very alien to them in their own homes, so they 'defend' themselves against it. After a while, it becomes habit.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:47 pm

I think Kuchar is having fun, but a part of me wonders ....
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:50 pm

LyndaW wrote:I think Kuchar is having fun, but a part of me wonders ....

I think a sort of instinct takes over. They're having fun, but they mean it at the same time!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:58 pm

So long as it's just fun, and not stress  confused 
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:19 pm

Go with your instinct happy

Dempsey's is out of dislike, but some dogs see vacuum cleaners as toys.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:49 pm

Buster has a thing about the hose extension on the vacuum cleaner too. I have a fight on my hands when I try to use it as he thinks I'm doing it for a game that he can join in with. Honestly, sometimes I have to put him outside when I want to vacuum.
Wendy
Wendy

Names of Dogs : Buster and Gus

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynne Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:57 pm

Good luck xx
Lynne
Lynne

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:18 pm

It's an absolute pain isn't it. Kuchar has recently added a garden spade and a cunning garden weeder thing to the things he loves to chase. Basically, it's anything on a "stick" that I prod to and fro, but in the days (not long gone cos he's only 2 now) when I could just about get down onto my hands and knees and wipe a cloth over the floor, he'd go for that too. I'm sure now that he thinks it's a wonderful game, but why?
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:24 pm

Another thing that I have to Buster outside when I use it is one of those battery operated fly squatters in the shape of a Ping-Pong bat.
Wendy
Wendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:29 pm

Wendy wrote:Another thing that I have to Buster outside when I use it is one of those battery operated fly squatters in the shape of a Ping-Pong bat.

Battery operated? That sounds weird!

Still haven't done anything with Dempsey, though. laughing 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:32 pm

Caryll wrote:
Wendy wrote:Another thing that I have to Buster outside when I use it is one of those battery operated fly squatters in the shape of a Ping-Pong bat.

Battery operated? That sounds weird!

Still haven't done anything with Dempsey, though. laughing 

They have an electric charge in them so that if you wave it around in the air and manage to touch the fly it gets zapped.
Wendy
Wendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:43 pm

That's a good idea!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:31 am

Good luck with the training. Mine don't mind the hose and you can actually vacuum Xan, Spike and Axel. The girls don't mind the vacuum if it's not being aimed at them. Pugsley runs and sits outside. It makes him a bit nervous but he'll come when called right up to me.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:35 pm

Still haven't started the training yet! laughing To be fair, we do need to be careful with him and water. I want to wait until the weather warms up, as cold water is a trigger for Limber Tail with him.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down