All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training a 'dominant' dog needs a firm hand?

+2
Eleanor
Caryll
6 posters

Go down

Training a 'dominant' dog needs a firm hand? Empty Training a 'dominant' dog needs a firm hand?

Post by Caryll Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:51 am

Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Training a 'dominant' dog needs a firm hand? Empty Re: Training a 'dominant' dog needs a firm hand?

Post by Eleanor Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:58 am

30 seconds in - like him already!

Having watched the full video, I really want to know him! laughing He's amazing!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Training a 'dominant' dog needs a firm hand? Empty Re: Training a 'dominant' dog needs a firm hand?

Post by Caryll Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:05 am

Lovely dogs!

Not bad himself...... happy 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:26 am

You're a married woman - stop it! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:29 am

laughing It's free to look!

the vid has a good message.

We currently have a 4.5 month old Mallinois puppy in the Intermediate class that is very dominant and also in the completely wrong home.
Malli's are the worst breed to have in a pet home but they wouldn't listen (they have an a-typical 4 year ols Malli female with terrible hips).
They paid a fortune to get a puppy from the best working lines in our country and now it's just problem after problem because they do not understand the breed, don't understand body language and mistime their praise and corrections.
All I want to do is take the dog home.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:46 am

I love Malinois, but they need a lot of training and a lot of physical and mental exercise. The guy in the video (Nando Brown) is in the process of getting a Mal pup - he's just chosen a breeder and you can follow his progress as and when he gets the pup.

They are a high maintenance breed, just as a Border Collie is, because of the amount of one-to-one attention they need just to stay happy & well adjusted.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:04 am

Shouldn't ever get a breed of dog you're not familiar with. Research, research, research!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:28 pm

Caryll wrote:I love Malinois, but they need a lot of training and a lot of physical and mental exercise. The guy in the video (Nando Brown) is in the process of getting a Mal pup - he's just chosen a breeder and you can follow his progress as and when he gets the pup.

They are a high maintenance breed, just as a Border Collie is, because of the amount of one-to-one attention they need just to stay happy & well adjusted.

I'll have a google.

I went back and forth between a Border Collie, Mallinois and a GSD when choosing my 'working dog' and in the end went with a GSD as I do love to just take a day off every now and then and stay in my pj's on the sofa watching dvd's.
I also discussed it with various breeders and my trainer (she's owned them all) and she said the only working breed with an off switch is the GSD. We tried to convince the Malli owner to have one of Axels brothers or one of my mums girl's brothers but they wanted a Malli.
They love him but sometimes love is just not enough.

Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:52 pm

Love goes a long way, but dogs also need structure depending on their breed and purpose.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:43 pm

Yes, Theresa, the Malinois is full on, all the time!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:21 pm

Loved the vid - an Essex boy in America??

The dogs were fabulous, and I was so thrilled to see a beautiful Dobie there.

I've never heard of Nando Brown, but will do some research on him. If he hasn't got his own dog-training TV show, he should have!

Thank you Caryll for bringing this to our attention.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:22 pm

Spain, I believe happy

Nando Brown is head trainer at In The Doghouse. First time I heard of him was a couple of years ago with his video on How To Use a Shock Collar. He smashed it to pieces with a hammer. happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:35 pm

Oh Spain - OK thanks, I knew it didn't look like Essex!

LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:38 pm

No, definitely not Essex!!

You have to admit, though, that he's a hunk, as well as a good dog trainer!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:03 pm

He certainly seems to be a good trainer!

LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:28 am

He certainly seems to be a hunk

Hahaha...
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:19 pm

Not hard on the eyes either!
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:45 pm

Hayley wrote:Not hard on the eyes either!

thumbs up 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:10 pm

He's not really my type but I liked what he had to say and there were some lovely dogs on there.
Wendy
Wendy

Names of Dogs : Buster and Gus

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:18 pm

Not my type at all but i think i have a think for blokes with an english accent.
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:55 am

We've wandered so far off topic  laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing 
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:06 am

Shisa wrote:We've wandered so far off topic  laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing 

Strange that  laughing 
Wendy
Wendy

Names of Dogs : Buster and Gus

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:36 pm

Too much oestrogen here! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down