All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A certain somebody may need his anal glands expressed!

+2
Caryll
Eleanor
6 posters

Go down

A certain somebody may need his anal glands expressed! Empty A certain somebody may need his anal glands expressed!

Post by Eleanor Sun May 04, 2014 3:38 pm

He's been scooting and dragging his bum around a lot recently, so I'm going to check his anal glands later. Hopefully they won't need expressing, as it's messy, smelly and I'm sure he won't like it. May just need a bit of a clean.

The last dog I did it to almost seemed to enjoy it! laughing Can't say the same for me though!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

A certain somebody may need his anal glands expressed! Empty Re: A certain somebody may need his anal glands expressed!

Post by Caryll Sun May 04, 2014 4:54 pm

He's ok, he just enjoys scooting!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

A certain somebody may need his anal glands expressed! Empty Re: A certain somebody may need his anal glands expressed!

Post by Eleanor Sun May 04, 2014 4:56 pm

They don't need expressing. I checked before his walk and they're fine, which is a relief for me, as I wasn't looking forward to it!

Will still clean his bum and bits though, as his scooting has picked up a lot recently. Might be that he enjoys it, but cleaning won't hurt. I'd sooner clean the area to no effect than neglect to and leave him with possible irritation.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun May 04, 2014 7:11 pm

Thank heavens I haven't yet had a dog that scooted. If that ever occurs there is NO WAY I would squeeze his bum myself  sick 
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun May 04, 2014 9:04 pm

laughing It is nasty stuff! Unfortunately, Demps loves to scoot. tongue

You should have seen the look on Dempsey's face when I investigated his rear end to feel his anal glands! I've never seen him look so offended! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun May 04, 2014 10:52 pm

Who wouldn't?  laughing 

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun May 04, 2014 10:56 pm

laughing Good point!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy Mon May 05, 2014 1:46 pm

I thought Buster's needing doing (skid mark on the upstairs carpet) so I watched a video to do it myself. I tried but nothing happened and Buster didn't like it. I was due to take him to the vets anyway for his booster so I asked the vet to do it but she said he didn't need it. He still sometimes drags his bum though so I don't know.
Wendy
Wendy

Names of Dogs : Buster and Gus

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon May 05, 2014 3:20 pm

Could be that he needed to go to the toilet or he had an itchy bum. tongue

You should be able to feel if the glands are full. You'll be able to feel two pea-like (or marble-like) lumps around the anus. Lovely!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy Mon May 05, 2014 4:28 pm

No I can't feel that Eleanor, he must be ok then.
Wendy
Wendy

Names of Dogs : Buster and Gus

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon May 05, 2014 5:51 pm

Sounds like it! happy

Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Tue May 06, 2014 8:06 am

If they have fleas they will also scoot when they're bitten on the bum.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue May 06, 2014 10:34 am

No worries of fleas! laughing I health check him every time he's groomed, so that's usually every day.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue May 06, 2014 10:41 am

No, no fleas.

Personally, I think he likes it - dirty bugga! laughing 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Tue May 06, 2014 12:03 pm

laughing laughing laughing 
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue May 06, 2014 12:04 pm

Something else he does is crouch & throw his head up & down. Hard to explain & I must try and get it on video some time. Again, I think he likes the sensation! covering eyes 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue May 06, 2014 3:52 pm

Rubbing his bits against the floor!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Thu May 08, 2014 8:08 pm

laughing 
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum