Tortoise pictures (big and small!)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tortoise pictures (big and small!)

Post by Eleanor on Sun May 11, 2014 1:37 pm


The largest is Herbie, an African spurred/sulcata tortoise. He weighs approximately 170-200 pounds. The other two large tortoises, next to Herbie, are also African spurred tortoises. They're females and are much younger and smaller, but I'm not sure how much they weigh.

The little tortoise in the background is one of two. They were rescued after they'd been in a house fire, hence the blackened shells.


Herbie is also a sex pest. He actively chases down the females in order to mount them, making loud old man noises all through.
avatar
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey
Posts : 10088
Reputation : 162
Join date : 2014-01-08
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tortoise pictures (big and small!)

Post by Wendy on Sun May 11, 2014 2:00 pm

Those are huge!
avatar
Wendy

Names of Dogs : Buster and Gus
Posts : 423
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2014-03-14
Age : 59
Location : Bedlington

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tortoise pictures (big and small!)

Post by Eleanor on Sun May 11, 2014 2:06 pm

They're quite impressive animals! laughing
avatar
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey
Posts : 10088
Reputation : 162
Join date : 2014-01-08
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tortoise pictures (big and small!)

Post by Caroline on Sun May 11, 2014 5:20 pm

Naughty Herbie! lol. They are lovely  love 
We had a wee tortoise when I was about 7. He was tiny compared to those ones lol.
avatar
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella
Posts : 938
Reputation : 31
Join date : 2014-03-09
Age : 46
Location : scotland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tortoise pictures (big and small!)

Post by Eleanor on Sun May 11, 2014 6:41 pm

I love them to bits, even though they are evil and dangerous! laughing
avatar
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey
Posts : 10088
Reputation : 162
Join date : 2014-01-08
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tortoise pictures (big and small!)

Post by Caryll on Sun May 11, 2014 6:45 pm

Herbie broke (we think) Eleanor's finger!

_________________
The best dog is the one you take home with you.

All that is gold does not glitter;
not all those who wander are lost;
the old that is strong does not wither;
deep roots are not reached by the frost - Tolkein
.
avatar
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey
Posts : 6933
Reputation : 167
Join date : 2014-01-08
Location : East Midlands

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tortoise pictures (big and small!)

Post by Eleanor on Sun May 11, 2014 6:51 pm

Fingers and yes, he did - the monster! laughing
avatar
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey
Posts : 10088
Reputation : 162
Join date : 2014-01-08
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tortoise pictures (big and small!)

Post by LyndaW on Sun May 11, 2014 6:56 pm

How does a tortoise, even one as big as Herbie, break fingers? Did he bite or sit on them?

I remember seeing a wild tortoise on a Greek island umpteen years ago, it was very exciting!
avatar
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar
Posts : 4025
Reputation : 96
Join date : 2014-01-14
Age : 68
Location : Hampshire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tortoise pictures (big and small!)

Post by LyndaW on Sun May 11, 2014 7:01 pm

LyndaW wrote:How does a tortoise, even one as big as Herbie, break fingers?  Did he bite or sit on them?

I remember seeing a wild tortoise on a Greek island umpteen years ago, it was very exciting!

OK, I've seen another post where you explain all! Eee-ouch.
avatar
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar
Posts : 4025
Reputation : 96
Join date : 2014-01-14
Age : 68
Location : Hampshire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tortoise pictures (big and small!)

Post by Eleanor on Sun May 11, 2014 7:14 pm

laughing

For those who haven't seen the other post:

I was lifting Herbie's rear end to perform a health check on an injury near a back leg. My hands were on his shell, in front of his back legs, well away from the legs. The other person was sitting to the side of Herbie and was supposed to make sure he didn't move forwards. However, when the person leaned down to take a look, Herbie started forwards suddenly and my fingers slipped in between his leg and his shell. When his leg moved forwards, my fingers were crushed against the inside of the shell.

I heard a noise from my fingers as it happened, but I assumed it was just my latex glove tearing. It hurt a bit, but it was more of a short, sharp pain that faded quickly. It wasn't until I took the glove off at the end of the session that it really started to hurt. laughing And I, being daft, refused to get it x-rayed, as this would have meant taking recovery time away from the animals. Stopped by the nurse (who also said I should get it seen to by a doctor) and got my fingers taped up, then was on my merry way! laughing
avatar
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey
Posts : 10088
Reputation : 162
Join date : 2014-01-08
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tortoise pictures (big and small!)

Post by LyndaW on Sun May 11, 2014 7:34 pm

Kuchar broke my finger last year when the thin extendable lead got wrapped round my finger just as he pulled maniacally. Oh MY GOODNESS it hurt! But I didn't go to the hospital or anything either and just did what I knew they'd do anyway and buddy-taped it to the next finger for about a week or so. It took a while to stop hurting and it still has a wonky bend, but is otherwise OK now and I saved the NHS a squillion £s. I hope you're OK now as well Eleanor.
avatar
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar
Posts : 4025
Reputation : 96
Join date : 2014-01-14
Age : 68
Location : Hampshire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tortoise pictures (big and small!)

Post by Eleanor on Sun May 11, 2014 8:12 pm

Unless the break needs setting, I'd probably do the same each time! tongue Ice it, then buddy tape it. Glad your finger's better!

Everything's fine with my fingers. Took a while, but completely normal after they'd healed! A little more cautious with Herbie afterwards though! laughing
avatar
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey
Posts : 10088
Reputation : 162
Join date : 2014-01-08
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tortoise pictures (big and small!)

Post by LyndaW on Sun May 11, 2014 9:25 pm

I'm glad to hear that your fingers have recovered, Eleanor.

Wouldn't it have been a laugh though to see the doctors'/nurses' faces when you explained how it happened.

avatar
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar
Posts : 4025
Reputation : 96
Join date : 2014-01-14
Age : 68
Location : Hampshire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tortoise pictures (big and small!)

Post by Eleanor on Sun May 11, 2014 10:36 pm

laughing It was enough to see the look on my parents' faces when I told them!
avatar
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey
Posts : 10088
Reputation : 162
Join date : 2014-01-08
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tortoise pictures (big and small!)

Post by Wendy on Sun May 11, 2014 11:24 pm

LyndaW wrote:Kuchar broke my finger last year when the thin extendable lead got wrapped round my finger just as he pulled maniacally.  Oh MY GOODNESS it hurt!  But I didn't go to the hospital or anything either and just did what I knew they'd do anyway and buddy-taped it to the next finger for about a week or so.  It took a while to stop hurting and it still has a wonky bend, but is otherwise OK now and I saved the NHS a squillion £s.  I hope you're OK now as well Eleanor.  

You're like me Lynda, I tend to treat myself too because getting an appointment at the Dr's can be a pain.
avatar
Wendy

Names of Dogs : Buster and Gus
Posts : 423
Reputation : 14
Join date : 2014-03-14
Age : 59
Location : Bedlington

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tortoise pictures (big and small!)

Post by Caroline on Mon May 12, 2014 10:28 am

Eleanor wrote:

I was lifting Herbie's rear end to perform a health check on an injury near a back leg. My hands were on his shell, in front of his back legs, well away from the legs. The other person was sitting to the side of Herbie and was supposed to make sure he didn't move forwards. However, when the person leaned down to take a look, Herbie started forwards suddenly and my fingers slipped in between his leg and his shell. When his leg moved forwards, my fingers were crushed against the inside of the shell

that has to be the strangest way to be injured I've heard and that's from someone who is accident prone  laughing
avatar
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella
Posts : 938
Reputation : 31
Join date : 2014-03-09
Age : 46
Location : scotland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tortoise pictures (big and small!)

Post by Caryll on Mon May 12, 2014 11:28 am

Caroline wrote:
Eleanor wrote:

I was lifting Herbie's rear end to perform a health check on an injury near a back leg. My hands were on his shell, in front of his back legs, well away from the legs. The other person was sitting to the side of Herbie and was supposed to make sure he didn't move forwards. However, when the person leaned down to take a look, Herbie started forwards suddenly and my fingers slipped in between his leg and his shell. When his leg moved forwards, my fingers were crushed against the inside of the shell

that has to be the strangest way to be injured I've heard and that's from someone who is accident prone  laughing

We don't do things the easy way in this family! laughing 

_________________
The best dog is the one you take home with you.

All that is gold does not glitter;
not all those who wander are lost;
the old that is strong does not wither;
deep roots are not reached by the frost - Tolkein
.
avatar
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey
Posts : 6933
Reputation : 167
Join date : 2014-01-08
Location : East Midlands

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tortoise pictures (big and small!)

Post by Eleanor on Mon May 12, 2014 11:59 am

laughing It's probably my strangest injury, although I've also been bitten by a llama! happy
avatar
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey
Posts : 10088
Reputation : 162
Join date : 2014-01-08
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tortoise pictures (big and small!)

Post by Shisa on Tue May 13, 2014 9:10 am

Male tortoises are notorious sex pests. They will even boink rocks for lack of females.
I have a wild Leopard tortoise that appears every so often to eat the Kikuyu grass on my lawn.
avatar
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy
Posts : 2936
Reputation : 50
Join date : 2014-04-07
Location : South Africa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tortoise pictures (big and small!)

Post by Caroline on Tue May 13, 2014 11:15 am

Caryll wrote:
Caroline wrote:
Eleanor wrote:

I was lifting Herbie's rear end to perform a health check on an injury near a back leg. My hands were on his shell, in front of his back legs, well away from the legs. The other person was sitting to the side of Herbie and was supposed to make sure he didn't move forwards. However, when the person leaned down to take a look, Herbie started forwards suddenly and my fingers slipped in between his leg and his shell. When his leg moved forwards, my fingers were crushed against the inside of the shell

that has to be the strangest way to be injured I've heard and that's from someone who is accident prone  laughing

We don't do things the easy way in this family! laughing 
laughing 

Eleanor wrote:laughing It's probably my strangest injury, although I've also been bitten by a llama! happy
shocked ouch!
avatar
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella
Posts : 938
Reputation : 31
Join date : 2014-03-09
Age : 46
Location : scotland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tortoise pictures (big and small!)

Post by Caroline on Tue May 13, 2014 11:19 am

Shisa wrote:Male tortoises are notorious sex pests. They will even boink rocks for lack of females.

Typical male  tongue 
(I tried really hard to not say that but I gave in, sorry)
avatar
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella
Posts : 938
Reputation : 31
Join date : 2014-03-09
Age : 46
Location : scotland

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tortoise pictures (big and small!)

Post by Caryll on Tue May 13, 2014 11:33 am

Eleanor wrote:laughing It's probably my strangest injury, although I've also been bitten by a llama! happy

Star the Llama - what a sweet natured (not!) lady!

Caroline wrote:
Shisa wrote:Male tortoises are notorious sex pests. They will even boink rocks for lack of females.

Typical male  tongue 
(I tried really hard to not say that but I gave in, sorry)

The truth is always the hardest to hear! laughing 

_________________
The best dog is the one you take home with you.

All that is gold does not glitter;
not all those who wander are lost;
the old that is strong does not wither;
deep roots are not reached by the frost - Tolkein
.
avatar
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey
Posts : 6933
Reputation : 167
Join date : 2014-01-08
Location : East Midlands

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tortoise pictures (big and small!)

Post by Eleanor on Tue May 13, 2014 11:53 am

Shisa wrote:Male tortoises are notorious sex pests. They will even boink rocks for lack of females.
I have a wild Leopard tortoise that appears every so often to eat the Kikuyu grass on my lawn.

They're definitely that. Doesn't matter where 'it' goes, as long as it goes. He's mated with her head on several occasions.

Caroline wrote:
shocked ouch!

laughing Wasn't too bad, thankfully!

Caroline wrote:

Typical male  tongue 
(I tried really hard to not say that but I gave in, sorry)

laughing

Caryll wrote:

Star the Llama - what a sweet natured (not!) lady!

Moody mare!
avatar
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey
Posts : 10088
Reputation : 162
Join date : 2014-01-08
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tortoise pictures (big and small!)

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum