All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you know a fat dog when you see one?

+4
Dave
LyndaW
ella
Eleanor
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Do you know a fat dog when you see one? - Page 2 Empty Do you know a fat dog when you see one?

Post by Eleanor Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:57 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/dog-spies/2014/08/26/do-you-know-a-fat-dog-when-you-see-one/

Interesting!

Demps is definitely still pudgy, but not grossly overweight. Very difficult to keep his weight down when a certain man in the house keeps feeding him sneakily! laughing But he'll be back on his flirt poling again very soon. evil
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Do you know a fat dog when you see one? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do you know a fat dog when you see one?

Post by Chiara Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:00 pm

The vet has said Lily is fat which she is, she is 27kg whereas Lola is 16kg. Then again they are fed the same amount of food and treats. My new ,lovely Romanian vet says it's just the way they are big grin
Chiara
Chiara

Names of Dogs : Lily, Lola

Back to top Go down

Do you know a fat dog when you see one? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do you know a fat dog when you see one?

Post by Eleanor Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:15 pm

From what I can see in your photos, she doesn't look fat! Beautiful girlie! love
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:22 pm

I think Tilly has always suffered a little since being neutered , they get the same walks but off lead Tommy probably covers 3 x the distance , I need to find the time to get out separately with Tilly on the bike as she loved that but Tommy hates it
Dave
Dave

Names of Dogs : Tilly and Tommy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:39 pm

I don't know how anyone could think Harvey and Chance are underweight.
Both of mine have a little layer of padding. I got told off by the vet a few years ago because of Millie's weight. She wasn't obese but probably heading that way so I had to cut right back on the treats blush
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:25 pm

unfortunately a lot of people think the boys are underweight as all people focus on is they have visible ribs and a very very obvious waist and tuck not the whole dog sad
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:22 pm

If a dog's really underweight, you should be able to tell! Not just from the shape of the dog, but from the condition and behaviour. If you paired the boys up with a malnourished dog, there'd be no mistaking the difference!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:23 pm

Tyson is 21.3kg. My other half thinks he needs a slice of cheese at 4am! Vet says he could loose 3kg for his size but....

I think I'll have to leave my OH to get his weight down.
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:24 pm

laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:26 pm

From dobes & rotts.... we always worked on.... 10 steps away,  you should still see ribs.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:28 pm

In a way, I'm glad Demps has a permanent pot belly. No matter how much weight we get him to lose, he'll always have that big belly for us to tickle! happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:36 pm

Eleanor,  you scratch, rub, tickle & kiss his belly.

I can't see Tysons ribs with a magnifying glass! (Though I am fairly sure he has some he is hiding under his layer of daddy's love.)
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:25 pm

laughing There's always one person in the family who'll spoil them! tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Eleanor wrote:In my opinion, the ribs aren't a very good indicator of weight with dogs who are kept very lean from exercise. The pin bones are far more telling! If they still have a good covering of muscle there, with no extreme jutting bones, chances are they're fine!

Your boys are in great condition! hug

This comment over and over and over again!!!

Billy is what my mum calls a skinny runt but he is just a nice sheprardy shape. lexi is a little pudgy but shes 10 now, cant blame her lol
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:17 pm

At 10 years, she's allowed to be a bit cuddly! laughing She's earned it!

And yeah, I think some breeds especially have quite visible rib lines, so it's probably a lot easier to see the ribs, especially if the dog's in good shape.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:38 am

Jess is 11 now & I must say, I have watched her weight her entire life. I now let her have enjoyment of her beloved hot salami chunks instead of monitoring everything she eats. She could loose a kg or 2 but... who cares? She has earnt that extra chunk of salami.

Tyson can have a thin slice & then it's.... walkies my little wombat! tongue
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:21 am

laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:20 pm

laughing
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum