All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New furry addition! (now with pics)

+5
Caryll
Lorraine
Dave
LyndaW
Eleanor
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

New furry addition! (now with pics) Empty New furry addition! (now with pics)

Post by Eleanor Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:38 pm

Mick, the orphaned field mouse. He was abandoned and was wriggling around in one of the packed boxes in the garage - dad found him. sad Very, very young! He's probably just under two weeks old, with a full body of fur, but his eyes and ears are still shut.

Bought him some formula, as well as little stuffed mice to replicate siblings. He's currently in a large plastic tub, filled with shredded paper, with some formula-soaked cotton balls. He's still in the garage, just in case his mother is still around somewhere. Here's to hoping!

No pictures, I'm afraid, as I don't want to frighten the poor little thing. Not sure that he's going to make it, as he isn't even weaned yet, but we can at least make him comfortable. Hopefully he'll feed soon, as he wouldn't take the formula earlier today.

Last edited by Eleanor on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

New furry addition! (now with pics) Empty Re: New furry addition! (now with pics)

Post by LyndaW Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:37 pm

Good luck Eleanor - his siblings must be around somewhere as well sad

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

New furry addition! (now with pics) Empty Re: New furry addition! (now with pics)

Post by Eleanor Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:50 pm

We think the mum may have taken her babies to another location when the boxes were being moved around, and left little Mick behind. sad
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:07 pm

what a bad mum , needs to learn how to count sad
Dave
Dave

Names of Dogs : Tilly and Tommy

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:09 pm

Ah that's possible.

It's terribly difficult to raise a baby wild creature, and I wish you the best of luck!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:25 pm

If only he was weaned - it would be so much easier! sad Not getting my hopes up, to be honest.

Hope the mum managed to get the others to safety! She picked a bad place to have her babies.

Thanks for the luck!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:54 am

Has he taken any formula yet?
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:59 am

I don't know. The cotton wool balls are still in the same place, but whether he managed to suck anything out of them overnight I don't know.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:09 am

Poor baby. Good luck!
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:12 am

A very small amount, but I had to use an eye dropper. I don't have anything small enough for him to fit into his mouth. sad

Will try to get into town later, to see if the pet shop has any feeding syringes. Otherwise, I'm going to try to attach some small wire tubing to the eye dropper.

He let out a huge squeak this morning after his attempted feeding. He has a powerful set of lungs! I'm hoping this means he's a fighter!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:44 am

Finally got him to do a wee, but no poos yet. He still doesn't really want to eat.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:58 am

It has to be very strange and wild animals don't have a 'buried instinct' to guide them.
Mice can be amazingly loud.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:19 pm

I'm about to give him another feed now. He might be feeling a bit too cold to eat, so I'll also bring down my rice heat pack for him.

Poor thing. sad
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:34 pm

Oh dear... I think I'm letting myself in for heartbreak right now, but I've completely fallen for the little guy! love He just had his first eager feed! I think he must have been reluctant before because he was cold!

Was wiping tiny drops onto his lips for him to drink, and then he suddenly grabbed the feeder and start sucking on it! love Took in a bit too much and made himself cough the first time, but he now has a full belly!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:43 pm

Awwwww... what can you do? It's a baby, it needs help.
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:47 pm

Exactly! Probably too soft for my own good, but he's so tiny!

I managed to get a closer look at him while he was feeding. His little teeth have already come through, so he's a bit older than I first thought.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:54 pm

Eleanor wrote:Oh dear... I think I'm letting myself in for heartbreak right now, but I've completely fallen for the little guy! love He just had his first eager feed! I think he must have been reluctant before because he was cold!

Was wiping tiny drops onto his lips for him to drink, and then he suddenly grabbed the feeder and start sucking on it! love Took in a bit too much and made himself cough the first time, but he now has a full belly!

That's just lovely to hear. I always find an eyedropper the best way to feed little bubs. Hope it goes well.
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:26 pm

Luckily, we have loads of eye droppers! tongue I peeled off the outer rubber of an earphone wire and poked that through the hole in the eyedropper, so that he has a smaller teat to fit in his tiny little mouth.

He finally pooped just now, as well! happy Took about 15/20 minutes to get him to do it, but that's really good progress! Now he's curled back up on his heat pad.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:35 pm

Well... pooping is always a good sign. (Sorry for talking poop) happy

If hes that young, chances are not good but there are chances so...Slow & steady wins 7/10, with a little warmth & affection thrown in.
I hope he/she can make it.

Got any straw? Keeps them warm & good airflow. Cotton wool may over heat it. hug
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:45 pm

He has shredded paper happy He should be okay, as the garage is quite cool. Hence the heat pack laughing

Nothing wrong with a good ol' poop talk! Poop's one of the best health indicators!

I'm afraid to say that he probably won't make it. sad But at least, if he does pass away, he'll have a warm, safe place to settle down in.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:48 pm

Some pics, so that you can see why I love him so much! love

New furry addition! (now with pics) Temporary_zpseb968cf1
New furry addition! (now with pics) Temporary_zps75acabfb
New furry addition! (now with pics) Temporary_zps7994fb0c
New furry addition! (now with pics) Temporary_zps8b425c04
New furry addition! (now with pics) Temporary_zpsc54d50b9
New furry addition! (now with pics) Temporary_zps77a53992

Sorry for the blurriness. I didn't want to get the camera too close to him, so I had to zoom in.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:29 pm

Oh he is tiny! Will you get up during the night to feed him? He does look healthy though from the pics. Maybe his chances are on his side?
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:32 pm

He's so tiny! A good sign that he's fed, you may be lucky, he may survive. Fingers crossed.
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:35 pm

He really is small, isn't he? love When dad first mentioned him running around in the box, I imagined a small mouse with its eyes open. Such a sweet little thing! My heart completely melted when I saw him.

I'll probably get up tonight, but I'll be leaving some milk-soaked cotton balls in there for him, as well.

He's very active and vocal, so I suppose there's a chance that he could make it. They're apparently really difficult to hand-rear, though. sad

I'll try my best, at the very least!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:39 pm

Just a thought...

I use a tiny paint brush, pastry brush, whatever you have handy with tepid water to both warm & dampen, then "flicked" dry & brush their fur to stimulate them. I've never used it on a mouse, but it has worked well on tiny possums. It stimulates them to suckle as mum would lick them naturally both during and after suckling.

Just an idea.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next