All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fun day out, but Demps was injured by a cow

+2
Caroline
Eleanor
6 posters

Go down

Fun day out, but Demps was injured by a cow Empty Fun day out, but Demps was injured by a cow

Post by Eleanor Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:13 pm

The cow licked his nose and hurt him. tongue They have really rough tongues, so I think it took him by surprise - you should have seen the fuss he made over it! laughing

We also encountered a pack walk, which was a pain. straight face The majority were really responsible and good about it when I told them that Demps doesn't like crowds of dogs, so they kept their dogs away. There were two terriers, though (one without even a collar), and a spaniel, which kept bouncing over and tormenting him. I had a chat with one of the men there, who had a beautiful, huge pied Stafford called Tyson - ten years old and massive!

Poor Dempsey got very dehydrated and distressed, so we had to take him to a toilet and give him a drink from the tap. He'd been snatching madly at grass to get moisture and was really suffering - poor thing. He probably would have been alright, if it hadn't been for the pack walk. It really set him on edge.

It was a nice day out though! We buried Mousey by a young oak tree. Will post pictures from today later on happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Fun day out, but Demps was injured by a cow Empty Re: Fun day out, but Demps was injured by a cow

Post by Caroline Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:36 pm

Sorry, I had to laugh at the first part laughing poor boy laughing

that's a shame some people didn't control their dogs sad Thankfully I've never ran into a pack walk when I've been out.
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Fun day out, but Demps was injured by a cow Empty Re: Fun day out, but Demps was injured by a cow

Post by Eleanor Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:05 pm

I laughed afterwards, as well laughing It must have hurt quite a bit though, as it hurts your hands when they lick you! Imagine it on a dog's sensitive nose!

It was a shock to see them, as this was practically in the middle of no-where.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:17 pm

Oo ouch! They do have sensitive wee noses. I learned something new today about cows happy
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:24 pm

laughing We always used to go up to farms when I was little, so I learned the hard way. I don't think I've ever read it in books or anything. I suppose they have to have very rough tongues, so that they don't scratch them up on tough grass. Maybe for grooming, as well, as they have tough skin?

Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:04 pm

Poor Dempster daft boy laughing
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:07 pm

You should have seen the looks we got from a couple of people nearby! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:26 pm

laughing
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:52 pm

Yes cows have tongues like sandpaper! Poor Dempsey!

And what a pity about the pack walk. I'm sure they're great fun for those dogs who can handle the excitement of so many dogs running around - I think Kuchar would be overcome by emotion. Thank goodness we don't seem to have them round here.

And RIP Mousey by your little tree!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:18 pm

No harm done, despite his dramatic reaction. tongue The cattle looked quite shocked, as well!

Yeah, there were some lovely dogs there. A couple of huge Staffords, a Rottweiler-Akita cross, several little black and white terriers, a couple of spaniels and loads of mixes. We were very annoyed at a couple of the owners, though. They threw an old banana skin into the bushes behind them, which the terriers dived after and proceeded to throw around. I know a dog would have to eat a lot for it to cause harm, but still... Allowing dogs to scatter pieces of banana skin on Monastery grounds. sad They also left behind cigarette packets.

The terriers who kept approaching Demps and tormenting him were also allowed to approach the young beef cattle off lead, which is really unfair. The farmers don't ask for much, but they do ask that dogs are kept on leads around livestock.

I'm still sad about Mousey, but feeling a lot better than I was on the day he died. I'm glad we could bury him where we planned to release him. happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:17 am

Pach walks should always consider others around them but it sounds as if Demps held his own.

R.I.P Mousey. I think it's lovely that you buried him there.
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:53 am

I really don't like pack walks.

Some are very responsible and keep their dogs under control, but many more just let their dogs do exactly as they please, including approaching/harassing other dog walkers.

Four or five times one or more of these dogs were allowed to approach Dempsey. He obviously reacted, with the reaction escalating each time. Bear in mind that we were also sitting at a picnic table eating our lunch as well! A lot of people don't want dogs around them when they are eating, so doubly bad manners!

There were a couple of the pack who were responsible, but it only takes one idiot to spoil things!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:07 pm

It really did distress him - poor lad. sad

Yeah, I feel a lot better about burying Mousey there happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down