All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going to learn to drive!

+5
Caryll
Dave
Hayley
ella
LyndaW
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Going to learn to drive! - Page 2 Empty Going to learn to drive!

Post by Eleanor Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

The thought of it terrifies me, as I don't do very well under stressful situations! laughing Seems like so much to learn!

But there's no chance that I'll be able to get anywhere in the animal industry if I can't drive. So, sooner is better than later! happy

Any tips? worried
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Going to learn to drive! - Page 2 Empty Re: Going to learn to drive!

Post by ella Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:27 pm

Martin used to have a moped, he's more into bikes anyway but it is an awful lot cheaper overall then cars, I have my car on finance but it's not cheap, only thing is is my car tax is £20 for the year happy
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:55 pm

A moped would do financially, but it probably wouldn't be a very safe option for the roads around my university. There are always reports of cyclists, motorcyclists, etc., getting run off the road around the first tight bend leading up to the main campus. Around the village, people just don't seem to give a damn about dangerous driving. sad
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:34 pm

Ref the horrible bend. If it really is terribly dangerous then the council should be lobbied to make it safer. Meanwhile, if you do get a moped pro-tem, get off it and walk round the bend, facing the traffic if at all possible and in the safest position.

Also meanwhile, I agree with Theresa in that if at all affordable you should take your driving lessons and get your licence and that will be under your belt for future job prospects. It will be a big asset as cars are often provided as part of the job package and you'll be ready to go!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:50 pm

Walking would be even more dangerous, unfortunately. It's a blind turn with no pavements. sad I don't think there's anything that the council could do to fix it either, as it winds around the first part of the university grounds, with all of the fields and a part of the animal welfare unit. There probably wouldn't be any way to chance it. In general, the traffic in the village is quite dangerous, even for pedestrians - this was where I threw my back out, trying to avoid a car that veered onto the pavement where I was walking. The roads are so narrow, anything smaller than a car is dismissed as unimportant by a lot of the drivers. sad

But yes, I'll definitely still take the lessons and go for my license, as it's better to get that out of the way sooner than later.

hug
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:09 am

I'm sometimes completely gobsmacked at how people drive. I don't want to hurt myself so drive using my brains to reason out decisions. Some people just get in their vehicle and GO! they don't consider anyone or anything!

Like I said, the license keeps your options open.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:46 am

I've often gone past an accident and thought"how on earth did that happen?" But then you see how some people drive & you realise that it really is possible!

My oh drives a bus & he was on dual carriageway a while back, going about 45mph. A car stopped at a junction on the left, the woman driver looked left & pulled straight out! My oh had to pull out into the outside lane & brake hard to miss her!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:44 am

And a bus accident is terrible. All those people in the bus... you'd blame yourself forever if something happened. That's a big responsibility.
I do a fair bit of driving and I can write down 100's of close calls. People don't think about what they're doing they just **** along.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:36 pm

Some drivers are shocking! I get rage approx 5 times a drive lol
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:42 am

Now I havent read many of the posts .....

I got mine the near minute after I turned 18 & had the money. No way was I not having freedom, but...my dad made me learn to actually "drive" a car. I was only allowed to learn in an old manual as they are far harder to drive than even a new manual these days. They had heavy clutches & power steering I had never heard of.

As for idiots on the road....well... my family joke that I have invented a new job. Chief licence cutter upperer! Nothing would make me happier than to just drive around randomly with a pair of scissors,  pull over idiots & cut their licence in 2 & take their keys away! happy

My uncle was a petrol tanker driver, some female nuff nuff  didnt get that a freeway on ramp is a 100km zone so you  merge at the same speed as the traffic. He swerved to miss her & ended up over a cliff in a burning tanker! I do not have any patience for people in cars that don't know how to drive!

He did survive thanks to people who saw it & got him out, but to this day his hands are horribly scared after many ops & his lungs have never recovered from the fire & fumes.

My advise would be... stay on the back roads till you know how to controll the car. Then, its time for traffic. Pay attention, no ph calls, txting etc. You may not make a mistake but if your not watching, someone else could make an error you don't see coming or a child/dog could chase a ball that goes onto the road. Eyes on the road babe, hands at 2 &10.
It really does only take a sec for something to go wrong. hug
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:36 am

Like the guy that almost took out the back of my car this morning. Busy on his phone and didn't see us stopping at the traffic light. I pulled to the side and he came to a stop, on the gravel, next to the car infront of me.

Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:15 am

Hmm... very tempted just to walk! laughing

Nah, I'm still going to try to pass my driving test and see if I can get a car. tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:23 am

There's always an idiot
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:35 pm

I always like to think..... how would I want a driver to behave driving next to my mum or sister?
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2