All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ahhh, the sound I have been waiting so long to hear again!

+2
Lorraine
tracyp
6 posters

Go down

Ahhh,  the sound I have been waiting so long to hear again! Empty Ahhh, the sound I have been waiting so long to hear again!

Post by tracyp Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:01 am

I have a HUGE gumtree out the front of my house. About 2.5 -3 stories high? It's a big tree! I love it, but I am an old tree lover, especially gums.  blah So.... Every year in spring the lorries (rainbow lorrikeets) return to breed. There are about 50,000 (literally) of them in mine & ajoining gums as there are numerous gums on our road & in the parkland opposite my house.  thumbs up They pack in for the night like bees in a hive.

I used to have a hand reared one (Jaffa) as a pet. Beautiful birds! love  if you like parrots, colour, loud volume, (even if it's only one! Tens of thousands of them....& you can't hear someone yelling to you in the house.) + an attitude to outdo most dogs. Jaffa used to ride my rotties around the house. They wouldn't ever stop him.. disapprove  Though not big parrots, dogs only mess with them once. Their bite matches their volume.

Anyway... working in the garden today I heard one! thumbs up  Yeah! They are on their way back, con! Only a day or 2 & they will all be here. I gotta get nectar feed! hug  Con wasn't happy... the bastards just deafen you, wreck trees & sh1t on my car! tearing hair

Well, all his statements are true... but I LOVE them coming in every evening & listening to the deafening sound of all of them. love

Next thing I knew, it wasn't just 1.... thousands flocked in....WE'RE BAAACK!

I even put out fruit, nectar feed & water to help them with their chicks.

Heres a couple of pics incase, so you know how beautiful they are.
They are found in 99% of Australia. Ahhh,  the sound I have been waiting so long to hear again! RAINBOW-LORIKEET-NSW-AUSTRALIA-PETER-STYRING-700x700

Ahhh,  the sound I have been waiting so long to hear again! 5218365873_3123e6bdd8_z

I am so happy! disco  Their arrival is a far better indication of summer coming that the bureau of meteorology! rolling on floor
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Ahhh,  the sound I have been waiting so long to hear again! Empty Re: Ahhh, the sound I have been waiting so long to hear again!

Post by Lorraine Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:10 am

When I visited Australia, I couldn't believe the sound they make! They are so colourful.
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Ahhh,  the sound I have been waiting so long to hear again! Empty Re: Ahhh, the sound I have been waiting so long to hear again!

Post by Shisa Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:04 pm

Australia has some beautiful birds.
It's probably to make up for all the other species that can murder you.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:06 pm

laughing Don't you have some of those in S Africa too? evil
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:40 pm

They are gorgeous birds indeed, Tracey! So glad you enjoy them.

What a pity that when beautiful bird song was given out, the parrot family was at the back of the queue. We have jays in the UK, lovely looking birds with a horrible nature and even worse voices (think screams; they were also at the back of the queue). Fortunately they don't congregate in such masses as your lorries.

I can remember, with sadness but some understanding, a film I saw many years ago of a tree next to a house in the outback of Australia where literally hundreds of wild green budgies returned to roost overnight. Presumably exasperated, the householder put some sort of explosive device under the tree and once the birds had roosted detonated it. I don't think the tree was destroyed but the budgies all fell to the ground, dead as a hammer.

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:36 pm

They are so beautiful!

They may be messy & noisy, but they're certainly very pretty.
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:38 pm

love
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:45 am

LyndaW wrote:

I can remember, with sadness but some understanding, a film I saw many years ago of a tree next to a house in the outback of Australia where literally hundreds of wild green budgies returned to roost overnight. Presumably exasperated, the householder put some sort of explosive device under the tree and once the birds had roosted detonated it.  I don't think the tree was destroyed but the budgies all fell to the ground, dead as a hammer.

That's awful!
Though I've not heard of this, I wouldnt put it past many of the guys (farmers) that live in the outback.
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down