All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dog epilepsy.

+2
Lorraine
Caryll
6 posters

Go down

Dog epilepsy.  Empty Dog epilepsy.

Post by tracyp Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:24 pm

Molly has just been diagnosed today. I am researching as we speak. What do you know about epilepsy in dogs? She is 5yrs & on 1/2 tab 2xs a day. Not sure of the medication yet but it seems it will be life long.

Last edited by tracyp on Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Dog epilepsy.  Empty Re: Dog epilepsy.

Post by Caryll Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:29 pm

poor Molly!

Not an awful lot, other than in some breeds it's hereditary, and it varies in degree.
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:48 pm

Sorry to hear that - I don't know a lot about it, but I think dogs can do well when managed correctly. hug
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:33 pm

I've done a lot of reading.
She'll probably be on Phenobarbital.

There's lots of good info available on the web.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:48 pm

It's such a wide topic, I don't think it can be properly explained without thorough research and professional opinion. sad
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:31 am

The vet says her seratonin levels are way off. I'm still researching. Theres definitely somes to that.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:07 pm

Yes, shes on Phenobarbital. 15 mg morning & night for life as it stands now.

Here's an excerpt from a very long article online. One of many interesting items on epilepsy in dogs.

Phenobarbital is probably the most commonly used antiepileptic drug in dogs. In addition to being used on a daily basis to prevent seizures, phenobarbital (or its first cousin pentobarbital) is often used to stop seizures in progress. Primidone is another medication which is actually converted to phenobarbital by the body and thus acts virtually the same way. Phenobarbital is a very effective antiepileptic drug. It is not expensive and comes in liquid form as well as different size tablets. This makes it easy to come up with the correct dose for everything from a Chihuahua to a Great Dane. It works well in dogs because it stays in the body long enough that it usually only has to be given twice a day.

Most pets have very few side effects on phenobarbital. When we first start them on the medication, we expect them to be a bit sedated and a little unsteady on their feet, but usually they develop a tolerance to the sedative effects within a few days. Sometimes the dose needs to be increased to control the seizures, and then the dog may have side effects again. The sedative effects are the main reason phenobarbital isn't used more often to treat people with epilepsy. If the child falls asleep at school, or the parent falls asleep driving home from work, that's a problem; if the dog wants to nap in the afternoon, that's usually not so bad.

The other common side effect is a stimulation of thirst and appetite. Decreased activity plus increased food intake, can equal obesity. It is important to watch their food intake so that they don't become overweight.

Phenobarbital is eliminated by the liver and this can take its toll on the liver over time. Some dogs may develop liver damage with long term use of the drug, but many dogs never have any liver problems. Monitoring liver function tests on a regular basis will help avoid potential problems.

Full article if you have time to read...

http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/basics/basics_index.html
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:26 pm

Here she is a few yrs ago now. ( I cant find a recent pic though I know I have them.) She's a mini schnauzer, my mums dog Molly. (The mole, as I call her.  love )

Dog epilepsy.  DSC01760
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:39 pm

Such a shame...
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:52 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about Molly. I hope she manages well on her medication.

I know an epileptic dog - he's a border collie type (a tall one) and seems happy enough, although he's quite quiet and doesn't want to play with other dogs, but that might be his nature anyway.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:41 pm

Molly plays & runs with mine like a ferret on speed. She is little dog crazy!  The 1st 20 mins when she arrives it's all paws, teeth & dogs running like idiots.

It all came to ahead when she was found convulsing on her side a couple of days ago in the yard. Taken to the vets immediately, he did bloods & found her seratonin to be so low it was obvious to the vet she'd had an epileptic fit. She will have further bloods done next week to check her levels & adjust her medication if needed.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:35 am

And they should just watch her food intake. One of the side effects is 'increased hunger'. Some dogs start stealing food. It's recommended to feed smaller meals through the day when possible.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down