All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

vet recommending WRONG things

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

vet recommending WRONG things - Page 2 Empty vet recommending WRONG things

Post by Hayley Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

Reading a thread on H&H about a vet who has suggested the owner feed her dog bran/weetabix for make it poo more so the anal glands empty, because the dogs poos are soft.

Now, forgive me if my dog knowledge is a little rusty, but surely the softer the poo the LESS likely it is to empty the anal glands?!

I honestly think some vets get their qualifications out of the back of a box of weetabix.
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

vet recommending WRONG things - Page 2 Empty Re: vet recommending WRONG things

Post by Shisa Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:31 pm

Eleanor wrote:though my personal belief is that the coevolution began to occur closer to 30,000 years ago - that's such a hugely debated topic, though, that I think it just comes down to which domestication theory an individual chooses to go with, as well as which studies the individual chooses to take evidence from. I chose the 30,000 theory mainly just because I liked the studies and found them interesting! laughing

I also like the 30 000 year theory but agriculture has only been around for about 12 000 years (?), with the most basic of plant 'husbandry' being done around 2000 years before that, so evolving to digest grains is only around that old.
What often also gets left out of these wolves and dogs have the same digestive system is what is in that system. There are enzymes and acids in one that is not in the other allowing for better digestion of say grains or proteins.

I wish someone would do a study(s) that could say: This is how much of what a dog/human must eat.
Dog food companies and Raw food advocates are both equally guilty of misinformation and being money hungry.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:34 pm

It'd be nice if there was a study in relation to that, definitely. I think there's such a huge mess of information and misinformation floating around, particularly on the Internet, it's hard for people to know what to believe sometimes, especially when the truth about nutrition is still being unravelled.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2