All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

K.C. "Don't blame the dog, blame the handler"

3 posters

Go down

K.C. "Don't blame the dog, blame the handler" Empty Re: K.C. "Don't blame the dog, blame the handler"

Post by LyndaW Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:12 pm

Interesting.

This about biting humans, not about biting or being aggressive to other dogs, so:-

My personal experience of being bitten by a dog - purposefully, viciously and totally unprovoked, has thankfully been only one, and that was Dobermann at a Dobie training class. He was "rescued" from being a guard dog so yes it was down to his upbringing.

With my own dogs (two Dobermanns then a Staffie) I have always taught them bite inhibition in the approved manner. My dobies were never a threat of biting other people, even other dogs, but Kuchar (the Staff) is a very excitable little beggar and prone to jumping up at people in his excitement. And his teeth are also prone to coming into contact with human flesh on these occasions. He doesn't bite but he may nip (as he has to me or my son). Now, he's never allowed off the lead outdoors, and if we meet someone he is on a tight lead, unless they know Kuchar and can cope with and welcome his boisterous embraces. I don't think he's ever nipped or contacted teeth to flesh with anyone other than me or my son. But if he ever did, that person might feel that they had been "attacked" and so I am very, very careful.

As for the top of the list Jack Russells. Well, they are a very popular choice of dog for many people. I personally have never come across a Jack Russell that was a threat to my own safety but I have to say that almost without exception (0.01%) they have been belligerent to my dog. The favourite excuse is "he/she was attacked as a puppy by a Staff/Dobe". So I must admit that when walking whatever dog I have/have had I avoid that breed of dog UNLESS it is a puppy.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

K.C. "Don't blame the dog, blame the handler" Empty Re: K.C. "Don't blame the dog, blame the handler"

Post by Lorraine Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:22 am

LyndaW wrote:

As for the top of the list Jack Russells.  Well, they are a very popular choice of dog for many people.  I personally have never come across a Jack Russell that was a threat to my own safety but I have to say that almost without exception (0.01%) they have been belligerent to my dog.  The favourite excuse is "he/she was attacked as a puppy by a Staff/Dobe". So I must admit that when walking whatever dog I have/have had I avoid that breed of dog UNLESS it is a puppy.

Those you have come across are obviously not the same as those I have come across - they were always 'attacked' by a GSD as a puppy! People do have a strange view of the world at times, and this colours the real issue.
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:14 am

Lorraine wrote:
LyndaW wrote:

As for the top of the list Jack Russells.  Well, they are a very popular choice of dog for many people.  I personally have never come across a Jack Russell that was a threat to my own safety but I have to say that almost without exception (0.01%) they have been belligerent to my dog.  The favourite excuse is "he/she was attacked as a puppy by a Staff/Dobe". So I must admit that when walking whatever dog I have/have had I avoid that breed of dog UNLESS it is a puppy.

Those you have come across are obviously not the same as those I have come across - they were always 'attacked' by a GSD as a puppy!  People do have a strange view of the world at times, and this colours the real issue.

Yep - the ones I come across were attacked by a bull terrier!

It often IS the owner, although yo do get inheritantly aggressive dogs occasionally. However, I don't think it's a breed thing,it's genetic! There are certain breeds, because of their hightened instincts (bred into them for many, many years) that may be more inclined to bite, but the owner/handler should be aware of that & act accordingly - so, back to owner/handler fault!
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:12 pm

Kuchar is the friendliest dog, he wants to be friends with every dog he encounters. But if a dog says rude things to him, he will answer back!

Now it's never occurred to me to do this before, but I will henceforward say "he was attacked by a Jack Russell as a puppy" if a JR shrieks at him and Kuchar answers in kind .
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:46 am

Good plan!!!! laughing
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:56 am

Very good plan!
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down