All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bit shaky...

4 posters

Go down

Bit shaky... Empty Bit shaky...

Post by Caryll Sun May 15, 2016 4:19 pm

Took Dempsey for his afternoon walk. Luckily my oh came as well.

Fell over - just caught my toe on a slightly raised paving stone & down I went! First time since the operation!

It was SO difficult to get up, even with my oh helping!
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Bit shaky... Empty Re: Bit shaky...

Post by Lorraine Sun May 15, 2016 7:45 pm

Poor you! Hope you've recovered now.
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun May 15, 2016 8:58 pm

Oh Caryll, I completely understand how you feel.

We've had similar operations and although you're much younger than me, a crashing fall (especially onto a hard surface) is NOT fun.

Of course you feel shaky (and maybe bruised and sore tomorrow although I hope not).

Many hugs hug
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon May 16, 2016 10:31 am

Strangely enough, I've no aches & pains this morning (other than a grazed elbow - I'll get over it), but standing up again was a nightmare. A really sweet gentleman on the other side of the road offered to help, but we managed in the end. Other than him, though, there was nobody around. If I'd been on my own I don't know what I would have done - quite scary, really. The knee is still so stiff that I can't get any real purchase with it as I can't get it directly underneath me if you see what I mean.

Ah, well, it had to happen! I've always had a reputation for falling over, even when I haven't been two sheets to the wind! laughing
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Wed May 18, 2016 7:40 pm

Sorry I missed this Caryll - I've been stricken with mega-migraine! sad

I hope you're feeling a lot better now.

Kuchar quite often pulls me over - he's in the prime of his life and strong as a horse, and I'm ..... not.

I find that if I fall flat on my back I'm like a stranded beetle, and the only thing to do is to roll over onto all fours. Then it's a question of levering oneself onto the arms and trying to get the knees to co-operate with a bit of desperate lurching. It's painful and undignified and involves some drunken staggering about, but if there is no-one around to help then there's no-one to witness the embarrassment!

LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Thu May 19, 2016 10:15 am

Trouble is, Lynda, I just can't get the left knee under me enough to lever myself up. I don't particularly care about being undignified, I just physically cannot do it.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Thu May 19, 2016 10:53 pm

aw sorry to hear that caryll, hope youre ok
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Fri May 20, 2016 8:28 pm

Caryll wrote:Trouble is,  Lynda,  I just can't get the left knee under me enough to lever myself up.  I don't particularly care about being undignified,  I just physically cannot do it.

I remember that stage Caryll - I could only get up by levering up by something, or by using my right leg only. But it WILL pass, it really will!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon May 23, 2016 8:03 am

LyndaW wrote:
Caryll wrote:Trouble is,  Lynda,  I just can't get the left knee under me enough to lever myself up.  I don't particularly care about being undignified,  I just physically cannot do it.

I remember that stage Caryll - I could only get up by levering up by something, or by using my right leg only.  But it WILL pass, it really will!

Hope so - I just don't know why the knee won't bend, that's the worst part of it!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Mon May 23, 2016 7:37 pm

Caryll, recovery from knee replacement takes a lot, lot longer than "they" lead you to believe, as I discovered myself. I was really daft - I read on-line that one could go back to work after 6 weeks. Well, I don't work any more but imagined that I would be running around like Mo Farrah by then, and my disappointment took a long time to recover from.

What does your physio say about the knee-bending?
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Wed May 25, 2016 11:49 am

LyndaW wrote:  I was really daft - I read on-line that one could go back to work after 6 weeks.  Well, I don't work any more but imagined that I would be running around like Mo Farrah by then, and my disappointment took a long time to recover from.

laughing laughing I never ran like that in the first place! I went back to work after 2 & a half weeks, but my job isn't strenuous or demanding.

LyndaW wrote:
What does your physio say about the knee-bending?  

Not a lot, to be honest. I won't be seeing her again, at least until after I've seen the surgeon again (July, if I remember rightly). But she was really surprised by it not bending more than it does. She also couldn't think why it would still be quite as swollen as it still is, although the surgeon says it isn't unusual.

Just a "wait & see" job, I think!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Wed May 25, 2016 11:56 pm

Everyone's different Caryll. My knee bent quite quickly back to what it should do, but 2 years later it is still weaker than I would have hoped.

A knee replacement is a complicated thing. If the dreadful pain at night is less (and becoming lesser as I have found) then that is a huge help in itself.

To be fair, my surgeon did tell me more than once and in words of one syllable that the main aim of a knee replacement was to reduce pain, which eventually it has for me.

So yes, it's quite early days yet Caryll, so don't despair! hug
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum