All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arachnophobic man and his family forced to flee home after world's deadliest Brazilian Wandering Spiders hatch out (UK)

5 posters

Go down

Arachnophobic man and his family forced to flee home after world's deadliest Brazilian Wandering Spiders hatch out (UK) Empty Arachnophobic man and his family forced to flee home after world's deadliest Brazilian Wandering Spiders hatch out (UK)

Post by Eleanor Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:41 am

I'm not too fussed about spiders, but that would have freaked me out as well!

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/03/11/brazilian-wandering-spiders-suspected-family-flee-staffordshire-home-pictures_n_4939649.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular wrote:Jamie Roberts spotted white stringy patches on the bananas as he put them into a fruit bowl, but assumed they were mould.

Upon closer inspection, the 30-year-old realised the fruit was infested with a spider nest containing hundreds of babies.

The arachnophobe of Hednesford, Staffordshire, rang pest controllers who advised the family to evacuate the property immediately.

Jamie, his wife Crystal and children Georgina, 7, and Joshua, 5, were only allowed back three days later after it had been extensively fumigated.

Jamie said: “It was terrifying for me because I have a phobia of spiders.

“We bought the bananas from the local shop and they were in a fruit bowl on the window sill in the kitchen. One day I picked one up because it looked mouldy and it had patches of white on it.

“I knew something was wrong because then I noticed the white patches were all over the window sill and the curtains and I could see tiny legs and realised they were spiders.

“At that point, I wasn’t too concerned because I thought they looked dead. I was freaked out but I started to sweep the patches into the bin but then they all started moving.”

The fruit in question was bought at a local OneStop shop near their home.

He added: “It was like something out of a horror film because suddenly the window sill was moving with hundreds of these spiders.”

Wife Crystal said: “I unpacked the bananas from the cellophane wrapper and put it in the bin so it’s possible the ‘queen spider’ may have been in there.

“I looked up different types of spiders online and found they looked identical to Brazilian Wandering Spiders which are the most venomous in the world.”

The family are now waiting for the pest controllers to confirm whether the spiders were the deadly species.

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the species has the most active neurotoxic venom of any living spider.

It is so potent just 0.006 mg (0.00000021 oz) is sufficient to kill a mouse.

Their bite is known to cause severe pain, breathing problems, paralysis and even death - most commonly among children under the age of seven - though anti-venom does exist.

The book describes them as "large and highly aggressive creatures [who] often enter human dwellings and hide in clothing or shoes. When disturbed they bite furiously several times, and hundreds of accidents involving these species are reported annually."
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Arachnophobic man and his family forced to flee home after world's deadliest Brazilian Wandering Spiders hatch out (UK) Empty Re: Arachnophobic man and his family forced to flee home after world's deadliest Brazilian Wandering Spiders hatch out (UK)

Post by Caryll Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:57 am

Aaaaaaggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!

shocked shocked covering eyes
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Arachnophobic man and his family forced to flee home after world's deadliest Brazilian Wandering Spiders hatch out (UK) Empty Re: Arachnophobic man and his family forced to flee home after world's deadliest Brazilian Wandering Spiders hatch out (UK)

Post by Eleanor Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:58 am

So... Don't think I'll be buying any bananas today!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:02 pm

Never did like bananas! worried 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:07 pm

I love them! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:42 pm

So do I, but I'll be looking VERY carefully at them if I buy any more!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:42 pm

They wouldn't need to advise me to leave the house, I'd be phoning them from outside.  I think I will be inspecting all bananas I buy now  covering eyes
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:44 pm

I think the ones you get from supermarkets are usually safe, but still... laughing

laughing I'd have taken a picture, then chucked the whole lot into the fireplace and doused the windowsill in bleach!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:43 pm

Imagine if he had eaten them and they had all hatched in his belly , be like something out of the mummy  shocked shocked shocked 
Dave
Dave

Names of Dogs : Tilly and Tommy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:54 pm

DAVE! Why would you even say something like that
Arachnophobic man and his family forced to flee home after world's deadliest Brazilian Wandering Spiders hatch out (UK) HorrifiedFace
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:16 pm

Dave wrote:Imagine if he had eaten them and they had all hatched in his belly , be like something out of the mummy  shocked shocked shocked 

laughing Ugh, yuck!

Hayley wrote:DAVE! Why would you even say something like that
Arachnophobic man and his family forced to flee home after world's deadliest Brazilian Wandering Spiders hatch out (UK) HorrifiedFace

rolling on floor rolling on floor rolling on floor For that reaction, I think!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:27 pm

Exactly , never ever sleep with your mouth open
Dave
Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:29 pm

Yeah, god knows what will worm its way in. Worm being the operative word.
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:51 pm

laughing You lot are nasty!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:23 pm

Hayley wrote:Yeah, god knows what will worm its way in. Worm being the operative word.

My OH learnt at least 14 years ago  laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing 
Dave
Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:30 pm

laughing Ouch!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down