All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Choosing a Food

Go down

Choosing a Food Empty Choosing a Food

Post by Admin Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:27 pm

There are various different types and methods of feeding dogs. Some people prefer wet food; some prefer dry. Some people prefer cooked meat; some prefer raw diets. It's up to each individual owner to assess the pros and cons of each one to determine which food and method of feeding best suits them and their dog. Things to take into account are:

Quality of the food:

Does it have enough essential nutrients to keep your dog healthy? This is the key thing you should consider. You'll be able to check the ingredients to determine this.

A good way to measure the quality of packaged food is to check the ingredients list. The first ingredients are the ingredients which take up the majority of the bulk. The first ingredient should be a specified meat, not meat meal or meat by-product (parts of an animal not fit for human consumption, such as hooves). I am of the opinion that, as dogs are obligate carnivores, they should be fed a meat diet and should not be fed a vegetarian diet without a valid medical reason. If meat isn't in the first two ingredients (preferably the first!), I don't buy it.

Also, don't be fooled by the manufacturing companies claiming that corn, maize, wheat and meat meal are all extremely beneficial to your dogs! Corn, maize and wheat are all fillers which add practically nothing of importance to the food, except for bulk. They are also common allergens for dogs. If a food has a lot of these products, again, it's best to move on. I would also steer clear of these foods being placed in the first three.

I would also avoid brightly coloured foods. If they're brightly coloured, they'll have additives which really aren't too great for your dog. For instance, Bakers dog food. It's widely advertised as a top quality food. However, it contains huge amounts of additives, colourings and preservatives which have been proven to cause hyperactivity in dogs, among other health issues which can be researched further online.

Wet foods contain a lot of water, which is why I would prefer to use it as a mixer for dry food, rather than on its own, but that's down to personal preference.

Please bear in mind that there is some debate in regards to food allergies. While wheat is often blamed for allergic reactions to food, some meat proteins can also cause allergies.

Cost of food:

Of course, some people may not have a huge budget to spend on dog food, which is why it's important to weigh up the amount of dog food you will be receiving for the price.

Dog intolerances:

If your dog seems to get upset stomachs frequently or has been lethargic since he started on a new food, he may be intolerant to one or more of the ingredients. With packaged food, you can often draw comparisons between different foods to determine what may be causing the allergen. If you choose to feed a raw diet, it's best done by a process of elimination. This also needs to be taken into consideration when choosing a food for your dog.

Always remember that any food changes should be incorporated gradually to avoid stomach upsets.

Copyright © 2014 https://allbreedsdogforum.forumotion.co.uk. All rights reserved.

Last edited by Admin on Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:48 pm; edited 5 times in total

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down