All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Kevin vs Mickey' - pit bull saved from the death penailty - what do you think?

2 posters

Go down

'Kevin vs Mickey' - pit bull saved from the death penailty - what do you think? Empty 'Kevin vs Mickey' - pit bull saved from the death penailty - what do you think?

Post by Eleanor Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:40 am

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/social-media-campaign-saves-life-of-dog-that-mauled-a-boy-4/story-e6frg6so-1226865462349

I'm honestly torn with this one. In no way do I think that people (on both sides) were justified in turning this into a war between the dog and the child. Both were victims, but it does seem like some of the activists trying to save the dog's life were also forgetting that a child has been disfigured.

I'm glad the dog's not going to be killed, but I'm also wondering what sort of life he will lead. He has to be defanged (a procedure I abhor) and will never be adopted. Hopefully, a rehabilitation centre will take him in, but the chances are that he'll be living in kennels, with his care divided amongst other dogs there.

This may raise eyebrows, but I don't agree with the sentence. If the dog is allowed to live, he should be allowed to live properly. It sounds like the only reason he was allowed to live was because of the campaigning, and that it was done grudgingly. I'm also concerned that the majority of the media is focusing on either 'the big, scary, dangerous pit bull' or 'the poor, innocent victim pit bull'. Very rarely in articles have I seen mention of the child's suffering.

I hope for both the dog and child that they both manage to live ordinary, or as ordinary as possible, lives after this.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

'Kevin vs Mickey' - pit bull saved from the death penailty - what do you think? Empty Re: 'Kevin vs Mickey' - pit bull saved from the death penailty - what do you think?

Post by Caryll Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:02 am

Oh dear.

I have a few problems with the decision. One is that it will make a mockery of the legal system in all countries - will social media will now decide the outcome of all cases like this in the future? Another is that the woman whose child was bitten feels that there has been more sympathy for the dog than for her child, and on the face of it, I agree. Another is defanging and the dog having to live the rest of its life in kennels - that's no life at all.

To be honest, I'd have been happier if the dog had been pts.

I just hope that the little boy makes a full recovery and doesn't suffer too much more pain, physically and emotionally. sad 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

'Kevin vs Mickey' - pit bull saved from the death penailty - what do you think? Empty Re: 'Kevin vs Mickey' - pit bull saved from the death penailty - what do you think?

Post by Eleanor Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:05 am

Same here. I hope the best for both of them, but I don't feel that this case was handled properly.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down