All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dog gadgets and gizmos - are they necessary?

5 posters

Go down

Dog gadgets and gizmos - are they necessary? Empty Dog gadgets and gizmos - are they necessary?

Post by Eleanor Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:36 am

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/03/all-the-stuff-you-need-to-make-your-dog-happy-this-spring-and-summer/

I think one of them is quite useful, which is the 'Give Me Space' equipment. Otherwise, they all just look like pointless money-makers to me. Dog-attracting perfume? Rain coats with umbrella balconies? The Whistle Activity Monitor doesn't sound as bad, but I should imagine it doesn't work half as well as it's advertised to.

The rain coat one just baffles me. By all means, get a dog a coat if he feels the cold easily. But just to keep off the rain? Nope. Unless a medical condition means that your dog needs to be kept dry, let them go out in the rain; rain is extremely good for their coats.

Dempsey has a waterproof coat for the rain, but that serves to stop him from getting chilled in the rain if we're out for longer than the average walk or if we can't get him back to dry him off straight away. It's for a medical reason, as he is very prone to developing Limber Tail, which in his case is triggered by the cold and damp.

The perfume. Just no. laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Dog gadgets and gizmos - are they necessary? Empty Re: Dog gadgets and gizmos - are they necessary?

Post by Caryll Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:25 am

I like the Give Me Space vest. I'll order one in a couple of days & let you all know what it's like. With postage it comes to just under £20.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Dog gadgets and gizmos - are they necessary? Empty Re: Dog gadgets and gizmos - are they necessary?

Post by Caryll Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:26 am

As for the rest of the gadgets, the rubber muzzle looks like a duck's bill, the umbrella is a joke and the ball launcher is an expensive waste of time! laughing 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:27 am

I think the vest is a good idea, as his 'No Dogs' harness just isn't fit for purpose.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:43 am

No, the harness is a good idea, but it's a rough webbing that digs into his skin. The writing's also just a bit too small!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:49 am

Exactly. Not really suitable to attach to a lead.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:17 pm

A couple of them are useful, like the vests. My two would be packing their bags and moving out if I tried to put those duck muzzles on them but I have a sneaking suspicision Bella would love the raincoat, she absolutely hates any rain touching her at all  laughing 
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:26 pm

giggle  Only In America eh?
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Bless her! laughing Luckily, Dempsey isn't too fussed by rain unless it's in his garden.

Only in America! tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:29 pm

To me it depends on the 'gadget' in question like i'm always looking for more dog cooling gizmos - without them Chance would be a hell of a lot more miserable and potentially ill.

Some are just plain stupid and a waste of money.
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:33 pm

I think the cool collars are great. Like you said, it prevents Chance from overheating. Most of the stuff mentioned in the article, though, is just pointless. Yet strangely, people still buy them!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:25 pm

I've ordered the vest - I'll let you know what it's like when I get it!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:40 pm

happy Nice!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum