All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How did your dog find you?

4 posters

Go down

How did your dog find you? Empty How did your dog find you?

Post by Caryll Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:57 pm

Was he/she a rescue? Did you wait an age to find the right pup? Was it just a happy coincidence?

Let's hear your story! thumbs up 
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

How did your dog find you? Empty Re: How did your dog find you?

Post by LyndaW Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:26 pm

First off, I have to confess that, despite all the work that puppies entail, I have to have a dog from a puppy for me to love it as a dog should be loved with all my heart, soul and might.

My Dobies came to me as puppies, after long and careful research, checking out of the litters over several visits (and the breeders checking out me!)

After several dog-less years (during which my son agitated at regular intervals for another dog), he saw a litter of male Staffy puppies advertised in a local shop window. I had recently retired, had renovated and redecorated the house including new (pale) carpets and had got used to being without a dog. And I certainly didn't want a Staffy, or a male dog, or one bought from a shop window!

But my son was SO keen, saved up his money and we went to see the puppies (and their parents). They were an accidental litter, and although the dad was an absolutely typical Staff, the mum wasn't - too tall and rangy (although the breeders swore she was a Staff). The pups were gorgeous, as pups always are - 3 brindles and one red (the runt). The breeders were very kind and sweet, loved the puppies and knew them individually (no papers, not that it mattered to us), but they didn't question us at all about our ability to look after a dog. The red one was chosen because he was smaller and quieter than his brothers. We felt sure that with proper feeding (they were being fed Wagg from a communal bowl) and no bullying from his bigger brothers, Trigger would improve. But almost as soon as we got him home it became apparent that Trigger was so quiet and gentle because he wasn't well - his breathing when resting was very laboured, something we didn't see when the puppies were let out of their crate and were all milling around. After a very long weekend the vet found that he had inoperable congenital emphysema and he was put to sleep to save him further suffering. We had had him with us for a maximum of 4 days and were devastated.

And here's where happychance set in. The same day, our faces swollen with crying, we revisited the breeders to tell them what had happened. They were shocked to the core, they had no idea that Trigger was ill, and immediately offered us one of the remaining litter brothers in free replacement. My son chose the first born, the biggest blackest shiniest-coated puppy that had caught his eye before, and we brought him home that day - Kuchar.

And we adore him - he is so naughty, playful, mischeivious and the most loving dog on earth. He didn't find us by the best route, but we wouldn't swap him for a gold clock.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:03 pm

What a lovely story!

Dempsey was actually my oh's choice - well, the breed was, anyway! He didn't want another stafford as he'd been so attached to Bandit & felt that he'd be comparing all the time.

But the rest of us didn't really want an EBT. So we told my oh that we were searching for an EBT when really we were looking for a red stafford. However, after a while the idea of a bull terrier grew on me & I started to make enquiries.

Getting a non-white pup from breeders who have undertaken all the necessary health tests isn't easy! I put a reserve in for a male pup from a beautiful white bitch (Tallulah) who had been mated to one of the breed's top stud dog, a very impressive red boy, but as it turned out the bitch only had one pup & that was also a bitch, so back to square one.

Then a lady I contacted (a well known & respected BT breeder) said that a friend of hers had a red male pup for sale & would be be interested?

The rest is history!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:06 pm

Except for the part where they didn't tell us he nearly died until we got there to see him! laughing Only made us love him more though!

Lynda, that seriously made me well up hug hug 
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:47 pm

Ah Eleanor, it all turned out well - Trigger wouldn't have lived much longer anyway whoever had him, we're just glad that we gave him a few happy peaceful days and we'll never forget him.

Caryll, I can understand your OH's point of view regarding Staffies; I felt the same after losing my last Dobie. I've always had a soft spot for EBTs ; I just love their egg-shaped heads, so noble with their Roman noses. Dempsey found you by happychance too.

LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:09 pm

Yes, the reason he hadn't been snapped up was because he was so small, having been hand reared for a while.

I should have known what he was going to be like when the first thing he did when he was handed to me at 6 weeks was to bite my chin!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:12 pm

LyndaW wrote:Ah Eleanor, it all turned out well - Trigger wouldn't have lived much longer anyway whoever had him, we're just glad that we gave him a few happy peaceful days and we'll never forget him.  

Caryll, I can understand your OH's point of view regarding Staffies; I felt the same after losing my last Dobie.  I've always had a soft spot for EBTs ; I just love their egg-shaped heads, so noble with their Roman noses.  Dempsey found you by happychance too.

He definitely had himself a nice, peaceful home with you! happy

Wouldn't swap Dempsey for the world, but I doubt I'll get another EBT. He'll be my special one-of-a-kind happy

Caryll wrote:Yes, the reason he hadn't been snapped up was because he was so small, having been hand reared for a while.

I should have known what he was going to be like when the first thing he did when he was handed to me at 6 weeks was to bite my chin!

laughing I remember! He put a hole in my sleeve, jumped down, peed on the floor, started ripping your handbag to shreds, then attacked the breeder's feet with a vengeance! tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:33 pm

Sounds like Dempsey was a typical puppy  laughing 

Puppies can be (and are) the cuddliest, wuddliest, cutest things on God's earth, but by crikey they are hard work.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:17 am

laughing A puppy/monster hybrid!

They are. One of the big problems about people jumping into getting a puppy without research beforehand - they're not prepared for the puppyhood troubles!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:59 pm

Well with Harvey we'd just moved into our new house, which I love but we choose more because we were given permission to have dogs, although we said we'd wait a while.....

Anyway a friend showed my an advert for a litter of pups she found online, and said there's one pup left, so I began talking to the breeder over FB as you do and arranged to go meet him. She answered the door holding Harvey or snoopy as they called him, and I knew I had to have him. Met the parents and uncle, left Harvey with them for a few days while I got everything in place and voila! He came home a week after we moved in happy

Chance came along when Harv was about 9 months old. Harvey I liked to take around fun dog shows and happened to google one that was at the rescue chance was at. So I had a look what dogs they had and chances photo caught my eye, and well fell in love with that photo. Went to the dog show and did some enquiring but we weren't allowed to meet any of the dogs then because it was to busy, was told to ring tomorrow for an appointment. So in a way I'm thankful I never saw chance in that little metal kennel, would have killed me to see him like that.

Went home and spoke to my oh about it, he was all on board as we had spoke about getting another dog before. Rang up to find chance was reserved and we can't come see him, unless in the unlikely event the couple don't turn up for their meeting. So I had to wait and ring up to find that they hadn't turned up but had by 3pm to get there 25 miles away if we were in with a chance of getting him, made it off course and well the rest is history!
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:13 pm

Lucky Harv & Chance!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:04 pm

That's a great story Ella. Once again, happychance has all worked out for the best for all concerned.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:13 am

Chance is most definitely my big baby happy
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:11 am

Big being the operative word! laughing 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down