All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dempsey's extremely close call with a cat...

4 posters

Go down

Dempsey's extremely close call with a cat... Empty Dempsey's extremely close call with a cat...

Post by Eleanor Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:01 pm

We took him out just now for a toilet break. On a side note, his stools are a lot firmer now, though still not quite back to normal. happy

We have a back entrance/exit to our house, up the garden and through the garage. The garage leads out into a long, wide strip of private land that we share with neighbours. And cats.

As I opened the door, I saw that one of our neighbours had his gates open to let his van out. Looking down, a small dark shape caught my eye. I assumed it was our neighbour's lovely little tricolour JRT-type dog, who Dempsey sadly doesn't think much of. This little dog never comes over to him though, so that's fine. Until I realised that it wasn't the dog - it was a cat.

For those of you who know Dempsey, you'll remember that he hates cats with a passion, ever since a big grumpy tom cat attacked him when he was young. And this particular cat happened to be extremely friendly and started walking happily over to Dempsey. Cue the desperate struggle to pull Dempsey back inside before the cat could reach him!

Luckily, I managed to yank him back in and slam the door shut just as the cat got about three feet away from him! Our neighbour very kindly picked the cat up, although it wasn't his, so that we could get out.

Love Demps, but he can be a pain in the arse sometimes! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Dempsey's extremely close call with a cat... Empty Re: Dempsey's extremely close call with a cat...

Post by Shisa Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:29 pm

It is a bit of an issue. Good that you keep a lookout.

My Xan used to have 100% tolerance for any cat but then I moved and the new neighbours had a terrible cat that would attack my cats, sometimes in the house.
This cat killed one of mine - it bit her throat and punctured her airway. She bled into her lungs and drowned in her own blood. She was 12 years old and only went outside to toilet. It was horrible!
Xan is pretty protective of his pack and he built up such hatred towards that cat. Now he can't stand any strange cats.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Dempsey's extremely close call with a cat... Empty Re: Dempsey's extremely close call with a cat...

Post by Eleanor Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:31 pm

Yes, I always check outside before he goes out. He's not generally aggressive, but like a lot of dogs, he doesn't like cats. sad

Poor thing! That must have been terrifying! sad
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:25 pm

Oh, Theresa, your poor cat! sad 

Dempsey is unpredictable with dogs, but extremely predictable with cats - he loathes ALL of them.

Last edited by Caryll on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:03 pm

It was lucky you noticed the cat. My two aren't too keen on cats and they have always lived with them  rolling eyes 

sorry to hear what happened to your cat Theresa x
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:08 pm

Yes, he does, unfortunately. Wish there was some way we could change it. sad

Always have a peek outside before Dempsey goes out! tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:17 pm

I don't see him changing, tbh. It would take an awful lot of desensitising, and I don't know anyone who'd be brave enough (or reckless enough) to let us use their cats as the desensitisers! laughing 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:22 pm

Pretty sure it'd be a bad idea! tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down