All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Retirement home

+2
Caryll
Shisa
6 posters

Go down

Retirement home Empty Retirement home

Post by Shisa Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:42 am

Last February I adopted my little old lady Twinkles from the SPCA. She was in terrible condition but we got her fixed up and eve though I did't think she'd last the week, she's still here more than a year on.

I've decide that I will from now on always keep 1 spot in my home open for a retiree. When Twinkles passes I will find another old dog that wants a comfy, soft spot, some good food and a bit of love and attention and so on till I'm to old myself.
I think they're so often overlooked because... well you can't really do much with an oldie.
The SPCA didn't even really want me to take her because she was old and frail. They thought it better to just put her down. Luckily I can be very persuasive (read scary person).
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Retirement home Empty Re: Retirement home

Post by Caryll Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:50 am

You're a wonderful person! What a lovely thing to do; the oldies so often get overlooked and all they want is some peace and love in their final years. love 
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:32 am

Shame my Xan is also getting to retirement age. Breaks my heart to start seeing him slow down and act his age.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:32 pm

It's always sad to see them slowing up. But I look at it as they deserve a rest, and a place by the fireside; they've earned it! love 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:22 pm

That's a lovely thing to do! hug
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:41 pm

That's so lovely Theresa. When I had my old JRT I lived elsewhere and walked in a lovely area every day (The Derwent Walk if there are any UK North Easterners here). Apparently, there was a lovely old lady there all the time with 3 either ancient or crippled dogs although I never met her personally. I was told that the 3 dogs changed periodically and when asked, answered that she always had 3 dogs; when one died she would go back to the rescue and take the one who was the oldest, or least likely to live for very long. She said she wanted to give dogs a happy memory before they died. Bless that lady and bless you too Theresa.
Wendy
Wendy

Names of Dogs : Buster and Gus

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:17 pm

I think it's a really sweet idea happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:51 pm

When i get my own home this is what i would like to do too. My last three rescue dogs were old and they still lived a good 6 years each but i enjoyed giving them a home, i'm not a fan of puppies and young dogs. I don't have the patience !
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:33 pm

I think it's also quite rewarding, as you'd be adopting a dog that probably wouldn't have been adopted otherwise. Not saying that people who go for puppies are bad - adopting any dog is good - but the elderly ones often get overlooked.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:48 am

I think that's lovely. If I was able to rescue I would love to give an oldie a home happy
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down