All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New scheme to monitor adverse reactions to microchipping

4 posters

Go down

New scheme to monitor adverse reactions to microchipping Empty New scheme to monitor adverse reactions to microchipping

Post by Caryll Thu May 01, 2014 9:13 pm

New scheme to monitor adverse reactions to microchipping
Created: 30/04/2014

COMPULSORY microchipping of dogs comes into force in two years’ time, and it is likely that it will also become compulsory to report any adverse reactions to the process.

This has been proposed in draft legislation, and in anticipation the Veterinary Medicines Directorate (VMD) has launched a monitoring scheme to which such events can be reported – such as implantation reactions, or microchip rejections, migrations or failures.

As reported in the Veterinary Record, anyone can report such an event, including animal owners, vets, veterinary staff and chip implanters.

Microchipping is already compulsory in Northern Ireland and will become compulsory in England on April 6, 2016, and on March 1, 2015 in Wales.

The new legislation in England will require all dogs over eight weeks of age to be chipped and their details registered on a database. It will be the keeper’s responsibility to ensure this is done.

Dogs being brought into the country will also have to be logged on a database if they are going to stay for more than 30 days or before that if they have been transferred to a new keeper.

For a dog to be exempt from the requirement it will have to be certified by a vet as unfit to be chipped. Most exemptions will be time limited, and if the dog is not chipped it must wear a collar and identification tag, those at the recent British Small Animals Veterinary Association (BSAVA) congress heard. Vets will not be expected to enforce the legislation.

It was the Microchip Trade Association – of which between 70 and 80 per cent of UK chip manufacturers are members – which asked the VMD to set up a monitoring scheme, and it was launched at the congress.

Giles Davis, head of the VMD’s pharmacovigilance unit said the directorate had no major concerns currently about the safe of chips, and that the BSAVA’s scheme had about 80 cases reported to it a year.
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

New scheme to monitor adverse reactions to microchipping Empty Re: New scheme to monitor adverse reactions to microchipping

Post by LyndaW Thu May 01, 2014 9:19 pm

Has anyone ever heard of any adverse reactions to micro-chipping?
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

New scheme to monitor adverse reactions to microchipping Empty Re: New scheme to monitor adverse reactions to microchipping

Post by Wendy Thu May 01, 2014 9:33 pm

I've heard of adverse reactions before. I've also heard that the USA is considering compulsory microchipping of children (I'm not joking before you ask!)
Wendy
Wendy

Names of Dogs : Buster and Gus

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Thu May 01, 2014 9:36 pm

What were the adverse reactions Wendy?

And you are surely joking about microchipping children  covering eyes 
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Thu May 01, 2014 10:03 pm

It's been reported that tumours can form at the site of a microchip implant, and dogs can also suffer allergic reactions to them. Plus, of course, some chips do migrate.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Thu May 01, 2014 10:13 pm

Thank you Caryll.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Fri May 02, 2014 5:14 am

When Dempsey goes for his MOT in June I'll ask them to scan him & check that the chip is still in place. Always better to know if it's moved.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri May 02, 2014 10:19 am

I agree with compulsory identification, but I still think owners should have the choice between 'permanent' forms of identification. I would personally still go for microchipping, but I know there are people who dislike it.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Fri May 02, 2014 6:42 pm

I must admit that it's a comfort for me to know that Kuchar is chipped (my first dog to have it done).
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri May 02, 2014 7:46 pm

Dempsey's microchipping was delayed due to loose skin around his neck, but he was done as well.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Fri May 02, 2014 8:44 pm

Yes, Lynda, it's my first time to have a dog chipped as well. I'm not keen, and I resisted it for a while (plus, he had very loose skin around his neck/shoulder area) but the pros outweighed the cons in the end. Plus, of course, it'll become compulsory soon anyway.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy Fri May 02, 2014 9:24 pm

Buster is chipped but Gus isn't. He will be when I get around to it though.
Wendy
Wendy

Names of Dogs : Buster and Gus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down