All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Birds in the garden

5 posters

Go down

Birds in the garden Empty Birds in the garden

Post by Caryll Sat May 03, 2014 1:00 pm

Following on from Eleanor's post about nesting birds in the garden, we've noticed that despite having quite a small garden, three different birds are nesting! We have a blackbird in the Ivy, and some sparrows & a wren in the honeysuckle. love 

I can't take pics because I don't want to disturb them!
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Birds in the garden Empty Re: Birds in the garden

Post by Eleanor Sat May 03, 2014 1:02 pm

laughing We posted pretty much the same topic at the same time!

Looks like the blackbirds are going to nest in the ivy next to our door again! laughing Daft birds!

Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sat May 03, 2014 10:22 pm

I have a small garden too, but despite all my welcoming attempts (thick shrubs etc) I have yet to have a bird's nest actually inside my garden.

However, there is a huge leylandii type thing which overshadows my garden and I wish would just die which again has a wood pigeon's nest in it  angry 
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun May 04, 2014 1:36 pm

laughing Oh dear! Typical wood pigeon!

Have you tried buying or making bird nests? Little ones that you can hang up around the garden, usually made of either wood or woven sticks. Birds often prefer these, especially when they're sheltered by plants.

Also, maybe you could try planting a climbing plant and trailing it up a trellis. happy We have honeysuckle, which has almost taken over the end of our garden (in a nice way). It climbs up the trellis, then over the top of the garden along beams that go from one side to the fence in the middle. Makes a really lovely canopy for birds!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Sun May 04, 2014 4:39 pm

I would love a little garden. My mum lives out in the countryside so I'll have to ask her about any birds she has nesting there.
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun May 04, 2014 4:46 pm

I love cosy, sheltered gardens. None of this sitting in the sun with every neighbour watching from their windows! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Sun May 04, 2014 5:08 pm

I keep threatening to move into my mums garage lol. Her garden is quite open but she only has three neighbours who are friendly but more or less keep to themselves.
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun May 04, 2014 5:41 pm

laughing Do it - just don't tell her until it's too late!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun May 04, 2014 7:02 pm

Eleanor wrote:laughing Oh dear! Typical wood pigeon!

Have you tried buying or making bird nests? Little ones that you can hang up around the garden, usually made of either wood or woven sticks. Birds often prefer these, especially when they're sheltered by plants.

Also, maybe you could try planting a climbing plant and trailing it up a trellis. :)We have honeysuckle, which has almost taken over the end of our garden (in a nice way). It climbs up the trellis, then over the top of the garden along beams that go from one side to the fence in the middle. Makes a really lovely canopy for birds!

I do have a cosy sheltered garden which is pretty private - it takes quite a lot of effort to see me! However, it doesn't get a huge amount of sun because the giant conifer wood-pigeon haven is positioned south-west so blocks the sun for much of the day  crying  and now the new Kuchar-proof fencing blocks off more sun!

Yes, I have all sorts of bird-friendly shrubs and climbers and once had a honeysuckle until a gale blew it off the fence!) which made a heeeuuuuge bush but still the birds didn't nest in it!

I've seen those little "bird pouches" but I always thought that birds preferred to build their own nests - for example they won't re-use a nest (unless for a second brood in the same year) . Have you tried them?
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Sun May 04, 2014 7:05 pm

We have a small garden, and not noticed any nesting birds but we do get a lot visiting despite the boys coming for the food happy

Birds in the garden 1981940_10153870286085611_1054030781_n
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun May 04, 2014 9:02 pm

LyndaW wrote:

I do have a cosy sheltered garden which is pretty private - it takes quite a lot of effort to see me!  However, it doesn't get a huge amount of sun because the giant conifer wood-pigeon haven is positioned south-west so blocks the sun for much of the day  crying  and now the new Kuchar-proof fencing blocks off more sun!

Yes, I have all sorts of bird-friendly shrubs and climbers and once had a honeysuckle until a gale blew it off the fence!) which made a heeeuuuuge bush but still the birds didn't nest in it!

I've seen those little "bird pouches" but I always thought that birds preferred to build their own nests - for example they won't re-use a nest (unless for a second brood in the same year) .  Have you tried them?

Luckily, birds don't pay too much attention to sunlight when they're nesting - they'll just find a nearby sunny spot for sunbathing every now and then! happy

Are the bushes, shrubs and plants high off of the ground and dense? happy Small birds such as wrens seem to prefer that in our garden, rather than stuff close to the ground.

As for the nest building, very often they'll still want to 'build' their own nests, but you can work your way around it. happy The pouches provide the basic shell of a nest, which the bird can then fill with nesting material. This is also something that attracts birds. If you leave a hanging basket or net full of nesting material such as moss, birds will use it - keep it away from your path though, as it makes a hell of a mess when the blackbirds find it! laughing After birds have left the nest, you can clean it out or replace it for next year!

It also helps to leave out a variety of food, depending on the birds you want to attract:

Dunnocks, sparrows, and other finches love seeds

Tits, woodpeckers and some finches love peanuts and sunflower seeds, although you'll need to adjust the size of the chunks according to the time of year

Robins, blue tits, wagtails, sparrows and blackbirds love mealworms. These can be a bit expensive to buy live, so you can get bags of dried meal worms or farm them yourself

Mixed seeds are great for gardens, as they can attract a large mix of birds. Wood pigeons and starlings will hoover these up though, sorry tongue

Bear in mind that leaving food out may also attract other animals! This can be good or bad, depending on how much you like this. tongue

ella wrote:We have a small garden, and not noticed any nesting birds but we do get a lot visiting despite the boys coming for the food happy

Birds in the garden 1981940_10153870286085611_1054030781_n

Looks really cosy and comfortable! happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun May 04, 2014 11:09 pm

I once tried dried mealworms (closing my eyes - ugh) hoping to get my then already pretty brave robin to love me even more.

The magpies hoovered them up grrr!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sun May 04, 2014 11:31 pm

Yes, the magpies do like them, and so do the starlings!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun May 04, 2014 11:34 pm

Starlings have dropped off drastically locally, not sure why, but Bovver boys - both species!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sun May 04, 2014 11:40 pm

We have a couple of magpies here, but they don't come down in the garden much. But the starlings come down in force, with their young, every spring/summer! We have to time putting the food out to late evening so that it'll be there first thing in the morning for the little birds!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun May 04, 2014 11:59 pm

Exact opposite here. Until about 10 or so years ago there were masses of starlings in the meadow opposite my house. Now there are only a few, a very few, and I've no idea why their numbers have decreased so dramatically.

Whereas the magpie population has exploded beyond belief - they are, after blue tits and wood pigeons, probably the third most common bird around here and are a royal pain.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon May 05, 2014 8:54 am

Magpies are a pain, although they're very beautiful! They raid nests, for a start, and have been known to kill baby squirrels. sad 

In our local park we have a nice variety including Jays, Tree Creepers and Green Woodpeckers, but they don't come to the garden.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon May 05, 2014 1:04 pm

LyndaW wrote:I once tried dried mealworms (closing my eyes - ugh) hoping to get my then already pretty brave robin to love me even more.

The magpies hoovered them up grrr!

Yes, they'll do that! That's why I find it's best to leave a large variety of food out, so that other birds can get a look in! tongue

LyndaW wrote:Starlings have dropped off drastically locally, not sure why, but Bovver boys - both species!

They can be a pain, but it's a shame they're declining. sad Quite pretty birds!

LyndaW wrote:Exact opposite here.  Until about 10 or so years ago there were masses of starlings in the meadow opposite my house.  Now there are only a few, a very few, and I've no idea why their numbers have decreased so dramatically.  

Whereas the magpie population has exploded beyond belief - they are, after blue tits and wood pigeons, probably the third most common bird around here and are a royal pain.

Same with sparrows, sadly. Over here, the wood pigeons and crows are very common. We get quite a few magpies as well. Not as many chaffinches, pied wagtails and long-tailed tits as we used to get though.

Caryll wrote:Magpies are a pain, although they're very beautiful! They raid nests, for a start, and have been known to kill baby squirrels. sad 

In our local park we have a nice variety including Jays, Tree Creepers and Green Woodpeckers, but they don't come to the garden.

We used to get a pair of jays in the garden, but not for a few years now. sad
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down