All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bird watchers vs dog walkers - what do you think?

5 posters

Go down

Bird watchers vs dog walkers - what do you think? Empty Bird watchers vs dog walkers - what do you think?

Post by Eleanor Mon May 05, 2014 4:14 pm

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/05/in-prospect-park-dog-owners-and-bird-watchers-fight-for-space/?_php=true&_type=blogs&hpw&rref=nyregion&_r=0

In relation to this article, although it isn't just black and white, I'm siding more with the bird watchers. I don't believe it's fair that other people and animals should suffer because some dog walkers refuse to adhere to the law and etiquette.

Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Bird watchers vs dog walkers - what do you think? Empty Re: Bird watchers vs dog walkers - what do you think?

Post by LyndaW Mon May 05, 2014 6:34 pm

I agree Eleanor. If this park is on an important migratory route, then whether the birds are being watched or not they should be allowed some peace. And if areas and times are set aside when dogs are allowed to run free, but in other areas and times they are still allowed so long as they are leashed, then the dog walkers should abide by these rules. Simples.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Bird watchers vs dog walkers - what do you think? Empty Re: Bird watchers vs dog walkers - what do you think?

Post by Eleanor Mon May 05, 2014 7:11 pm

Exactly my thoughts. I think they've been very accommodating to dog walkers, reasonably setting allocated times and areas for both on and off lead walking. I definitely think that the welfare or wildlife should come first, especially considering the dogs will not in any way be harmed by on lead walking.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon May 05, 2014 7:29 pm

We,, the by laws say no unleashed animals between 9pm & 9am - so that's exactly what should happen! Whether you think that either side is right or wrong, the dogs should be on a lead between 9am and 9pm!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon May 05, 2014 7:38 pm

Definitely! Dog walkers aren't above the law.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy Wed May 07, 2014 3:54 pm

Caryll wrote:We,, the by laws say no unleashed animals between 9pm & 9am - so that's exactly what should happen! Whether you think that either side is right or wrong, the dogs should be on a lead between 9am and 9pm!

I wish you'd tell that to some of the idiots around here!
Wendy
Wendy

Names of Dogs : Buster and Gus

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Wed May 07, 2014 4:16 pm

You have problems with people who think they're above the law as well? Seems like there are a lot of people like that. sad
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Tue May 13, 2014 10:38 am

It sounds like the dog walkers have plenty of opportunities to let their dogs off lead. On the side of the bird watchers with this.
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue May 13, 2014 11:36 am

Wendy wrote:
Caryll wrote:We,, the by laws say no unleashed animals between 9pm & 9am - so that's exactly what should happen! Whether you think that either side is right or wrong, the dogs should be on a lead between 9am and 9pm!

I wish you'd tell that to some of the idiots around here!

Unfortunately idiots are...well, idiots! They don't/won't/can't listen and do as they damn well please, making it difficult for all the decent people who do take notice of the law!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue May 13, 2014 11:55 am

I wish the dog walkers would understand that wild animals should come first in their wild habitats. Dogs can go pretty much wherever, but these birds need the place for survival.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down