All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BEER

+5
Wendy
Eleanor
Caroline
Caryll
Hayley
9 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

BEER - Page 3 Empty BEER

Post by Hayley Sat May 10, 2014 12:09 am

First topic message reminder :

I don't need to further explain.
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

BEER - Page 3 Empty Re: BEER

Post by Hayley Tue May 20, 2014 10:47 pm

Ew beet root only belongs in salad!!
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue May 20, 2014 11:35 pm

Some things are a matter of acquired taste!

Like olives -I have tried in adulthood both green and black, but would still prefer to chew my right arm. My little great-nephew however would eat them till he burst.

I'll stick with borscht!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Wed May 21, 2014 12:45 am

I had olives in a swanky London restaurant but I didn't like the texture. I did like the taste of all the stuffed stuff in it.
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy Wed May 21, 2014 1:53 am

I am an olive person. Life is always good when there are black olives in it.
Wendy
Wendy

Names of Dogs : Buster and Gus

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Wed May 21, 2014 5:54 am

I like olives! But no matter how I've tried beetroot (I even grew & cooked it myself) I don't like it! laughing 

I use oxo cubes - the vegetable ones.
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Wed May 21, 2014 8:52 am

I stopped being veggie. I was still eating cheese and drinking milk so if I wasn't wating meat for animal welfare I shouldn't have been having dairy and I didn't want to go vegan cause frankly I couldn't afford the amount of silly ingredients needed lol
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Wed May 21, 2014 9:43 am

The idea of veganism interests me, but it's not something I could do, even if a chose to, as it would probably affect my health.

I'm quite happy being a vegetarian though! I've seen the workings of dairy farms and am happy with how the cattle are treated. My only reservation is with buying eggs; only ever free-range and organic, which minimises the risk that I'd be buying eggs from a place that treats chickens like rubbish.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Wed May 21, 2014 11:33 am

I accept that not all dairy farms are as good (or as ethical) as Mount St Bernard Abbey's, but generally speaking they are reasonable.

Eggs are a different matter. I will not eat eggs from battery/caged birds, neither will I eat them from barn birds. At a push I'll buy free range, but if at all possible I get the organic free range.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Wed May 21, 2014 9:00 pm

laughing  love how this conversation has changed  laughing  I love pickled beetroot and pickled onions but I get major heartburn now if I eat them but sometimes it just has to be done. I tried olives once.....never again  tongue 

My new favourite drink is strawberry daiquiri mmmmm happy
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Wed May 21, 2014 10:35 pm

I sometimes get heartburn if I eat too many pickled onions as well! laughing I usually just have a sandwich first, to soak up the vinegar, and down a couple of glasses of water.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Thu May 22, 2014 2:15 pm

Its more the fact the bull calfs are killed either at birth or later on, and i dont like that the calves are taken from the mothers immediately, but i would litereally die of starvation if i was vegan lol
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu May 22, 2014 2:31 pm

Depends which farm it is. A lot of dairy farms now are either raising the bull calves for beef, if they're suitable for it, or selling them for veal. There are also methods which can be taken to ensure the birth of females, rather than bull calves.

Tbh, I don't think it's one of the situations where you have either go all the way or not at all. Most people just do what they can manage. Vegetarianism and veganism are both very different things though, taken on for different reasons.

I can't say that I'm loving the removal of calves from their mothers so soon after birth, despite the fact that it's deemed necessary. I'm not a hypocrite though. I drink milk and am fully aware of where it has come from and how it's produced. Perhaps some day, though, there will be another way around it.

However, although this obviously doesn't clear away the distress caused, there is a certain amount of silver lining in as much as each calf is given individual attention in individual hutches, as well as all of the nutrients they need to grow properly.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Thu May 22, 2014 7:33 pm

From what I have seen and learned over the years, the cows whose calves are taken away at birth suffer less distress than those whose calves are taken away later.

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu May 22, 2014 7:48 pm

That's also true in many cases! It's distressing, no matter when they're taken away, but cattle will form bonds with their calves that last until the calf has matured well into adulthood.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Thu May 22, 2014 8:46 pm

BBER AGAIN! lololol
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Thu May 22, 2014 8:48 pm

Eleanor wrote:Depends which farm it is. A lot of dairy farms now are either raising the bull calves for beef, if they're suitable for it, or selling them for veal. There are also methods which can be taken to ensure the birth of females, rather than bull calves.

Tbh, I don't think it's one of the situations where you have either go all the way or not at all. Most people just do what they can manage. Vegetarianism and veganism are both very different things though, taken on for different reasons.

I can't say that I'm loving the removal of calves from their mothers so soon after birth, despite the fact that it's deemed necessary. I'm not a hypocrite though. I drink milk and am fully aware of where it has come from and how it's produced. Perhaps some day, though, there will be another way around it.

However, although this obviously doesn't clear away the distress caused, there is a certain amount of silver lining in as much as each calf is given individual attention in individual hutches, as well as all of the nutrients they need to grow properly.

Yeah, i know that they are looked after, its their livelihood after all! I'm still not eating fish though because of the way they are caught and the amount of other animals killed. If you eat a cow a cow dies..

I'm a walking hypocrite i know hahhha i change how i feel every few months.
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri May 23, 2014 9:28 am

Hayley wrote:BBER AGAIN! lololol

:lol:Bit too much, by the sound of it!

Hayley wrote:
Eleanor wrote:Depends which farm it is. A lot of dairy farms now are either raising the bull calves for beef, if they're suitable for it, or selling them for veal. There are also methods which can be taken to ensure the birth of females, rather than bull calves.

Yeah, i know that they are looked after, its their livelihood after all! I'm still not eating fish though because of the way they are caught and the amount of other animals killed. If you eat a cow a cow dies..

I'm a walking hypocrite i know hahhha i change how i feel every few months.

I definitely agree with you about the fishing part. Worldwide, animals (including humans) hunt meat in some way, but only the meat that they intend to eat. There's very rarely any wastage. With fishing, like you said, other animals are killed in the crossfire.

I don't think it's hypocritical to change your mind! :)It's quite a complicated subject, really, when it comes to ethics.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3