All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Genetic mutation discovered in Dobermann pinschers, as well as a link to melanoma tumours

5 posters

Go down

Genetic mutation discovered in Dobermann pinschers, as well as a link to melanoma tumours Empty Genetic mutation discovered in Dobermann pinschers, as well as a link to melanoma tumours

Post by Eleanor Fri May 16, 2014 2:45 pm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/05/140512112557.htm

Dobes can be carriers of the gene, even if they're not affected, and may pass the albinism down to offspring. I should imagine it'll be something they'll develop a test for in the future for breeders.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Genetic mutation discovered in Dobermann pinschers, as well as a link to melanoma tumours Empty Re: Genetic mutation discovered in Dobermann pinschers, as well as a link to melanoma tumours

Post by Caryll Fri May 16, 2014 6:58 pm

something the KC will probably look into - they've managed to develop many DNA tests for various breed problems.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Genetic mutation discovered in Dobermann pinschers, as well as a link to melanoma tumours Empty Re: Genetic mutation discovered in Dobermann pinschers, as well as a link to melanoma tumours

Post by Eleanor Fri May 16, 2014 7:05 pm

Probably!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Sat May 17, 2014 8:16 am

Pity that they have to be tested for anything at all. so many health issues plague mans best friend.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Sat May 17, 2014 9:17 am

Or, they will breed for it because its "pretty" >_<;;
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat May 17, 2014 3:37 pm

Isn't right, is it?
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sat May 17, 2014 10:59 pm

I have not been in the Doberman world for quite a while now, but I do recall seeing a dog with this lack of colouring, the dog I saw was being promoted as a breed type by the breeder. The lack of colouring was called Isabella and was not recognised by the Dobermann breed society - rightly so in my opinion.

Albinism is a step further and a definite disability imho for whatever animal is afflicted by it and should not be encouraged, however pretty the white fur and red eyes might be to some.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun May 18, 2014 12:38 pm

Isabella is a dilute of liver, thankfully not a very common one in most breeds. I don't believe that this should be encouraged either, as it's far more dangerous to be messing around with than blue is. It involves having a combination of four recessive alleles, whereas the blue colour has at least one dominant allele. Both the isabella's colour and dilution genes are recessive.

I believe that this is partially what led to the albinism in Dobermanns. Many isabella dogs have a partial albinism gene, which is what is responsible for their colour being what it is, rather than liver. When a completely white Dobermann was born, they seized the chance and bred her to her son (I think), who was then bred to his litter mates.

But then you get the ignorant people who play as breeders, with the excuse that the white Dobe isn't an albino because it has blue eyes. If they had done any research, they would know that an animal can have either complete or partial albinism. Partial albinism results in blue eyes. But sadly, people would often prefer to believe the 'nicer' story over the truth.

Last edited by Eleanor on Sun May 18, 2014 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Sun May 18, 2014 2:23 pm

It's all money and greed ain't it :sad
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sun May 18, 2014 4:14 pm

Yes, it often is, I'm afraid. sad 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun May 18, 2014 7:27 pm

That inbreeding of genetically mutant dogs is disgraceful; it won't be just albinism that the poor dogs will suffer from  angry 

Dobermanns should be black and tan - any other colour is a mutation.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sun May 18, 2014 7:36 pm

Unscrupulous people will always look for the 'rare' or 'unusual' colour/coat type - it means they can charge more for the puppies! angry 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun May 18, 2014 7:55 pm

I agree wholeheartedly! All of the above. Dobermanns are beautiful dogs as black and tans. There's just no need to change them!

The health problems that come with the 'cream' Dobes are just horrendous. Skin, eyes, ears, internal organs, behavioural issues. Not to mention the response they get from other dogs! Albinism is a weakness in nature, which makes them perfect targets for being attacked. They can't defend themselves properly from other dogs, due to their ear and eye problems. This also makes them far more defensive/aggressive than the average dog.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Mon May 19, 2014 10:30 am

At the dog show I entered yesterday there was a lady with a fairly nice 9 month old Great Dane PUPPY!! she was bragging about he had covered his first bitch, a pure white, and how all the puppies had been sold before birth. I knew what was coming.. spoke to my vet (she was judging) and the pups are for the most part missformed, deaf and blind.
Some people just breed to breed. There was no homework done in this mating. A 2 second google search would have told them you do not mate merle, harlequin and white dogs to each other!
I wanted to go up to the lady and slap some sense into her. She'll do it agian and again and again.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon May 19, 2014 10:56 am

Horrible woman! sad I've never owned, shown or bred Great Danes, and yet I'm very aware of the dangers with breeding those colours together. There's no excuse for her ignorance.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Mon May 19, 2014 11:34 am

Some people just own dogs to brag.
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon May 19, 2014 11:43 am

Sadly, yes. Although they have absolutely nothing to be proud of.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Mon May 19, 2014 10:02 pm

Status symbol dogs "my dog is very rare" - poor dogs.

Last year whilst walking my dog I met several "very rare" blue staffie puppies. I haven't seen a single one since - where have they all gone?  dunno 
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue May 20, 2014 8:46 am

I think people have started to realise that dilutions in Staffords aren't rare, as well as the potential health problems which can come with them. The novelty of having a 'different' dog has worn off now that so many people have them.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue May 20, 2014 10:54 am

And yet 'breeders' will still try and sell them as 'rare'.  dunno 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue May 20, 2014 2:14 pm

Bit of a pattern, isn't it? Money seems to be the end goal.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue May 20, 2014 8:48 pm

It always is. sad 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down