All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wolves struggling due to inbreeding

4 posters

Go down

Wolves struggling due to inbreeding Empty Wolves struggling due to inbreeding

Post by Eleanor Fri May 16, 2014 2:46 pm

Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Wolves struggling due to inbreeding Empty Re: Wolves struggling due to inbreeding

Post by Caryll Fri May 16, 2014 7:07 pm

Maybe they could introduce some female wolves to see if that would help.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Wolves struggling due to inbreeding Empty Re: Wolves struggling due to inbreeding

Post by Eleanor Fri May 16, 2014 7:14 pm

It's something they're considering for the future, if breeding becomes a problem.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Sat May 17, 2014 7:56 am

Isle Royale National Park recently affirmed that as long as a breeding population of wolves exists on the island there would be no intervention in the near term.

That's stupid. This is my big problem with most 'wildlife' parks. They leave the animals to survive in a 'natural' habitat that is everything but natural. A wildlife park/game park etc should be run like a farm because that is what it is. You take some out, you put some in. You change the males and you have to cull the excess.
No animals live in a natural habitat anymore.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat May 17, 2014 3:21 pm

Agreed. Unless the animal is living in a truly wild habitat, with no direct interference with humans, they cannot just be left to live a 100% wild life. Humans reintroduced them, so humans need to keep an eye on them.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Sat May 17, 2014 3:58 pm

I don't think that there is any place that is wild anymore. I think we humans have infected every bit of the planet in some way.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat May 17, 2014 4:14 pm

Sadly, yes. It's why I'm so against the reintroduction of wolves and lynx in the UK. They've been extinct in the UK for so long, there's just no place for them anymore.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sat May 17, 2014 9:10 pm

It's all desperately sad. Wolves and lynx should definitely not be reintroduced into the UK (has this really been seriously proposed?) This island is too small and overcrowded to reintroduce wild predators.

But until fairly recently, I did naively think that there did exist huge tracts of land in parts of the world where the native wildlife could exist as it was meant to without interference from mankind, but it seems I was wrong.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat May 17, 2014 9:16 pm

Sadly, people are trying to push for it! The lynx has been extinct in the UK for at least 4000 years! What on Earth do people think is going to happen if they try to reintroduce an animal like that. Considering the largest predator in the UK is the grey seal, followed by the badger and fox, do they honestly think introducing a lynx will work? Britain just isn't equipped to hold such large, wide-roaming carnivores.

In very remote areas (rainforests, for instance), I think the wildlife can remain properly wild. The places are few and far between now though. sad
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sat May 17, 2014 9:30 pm

I can't see it happening - hopefully. Although I never thought we'd see wild pigs being reintroduced to the UK.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat May 17, 2014 9:37 pm

Still a lot of people who aren't happy about that! laughing

No, I can't see it happening either. It would be asking for trouble!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Mon May 19, 2014 10:23 am

Humans have some seriously bizarre ideas.
People kill off everything in an area and then think they can fix it by putting an animal from a different area back there.

SIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon May 19, 2014 10:53 am

But they'll leave it a few centuries first, so that the habitat is practically destroyed anyway and can offer absolutely no support for said animal. Good logic, eh?
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down