All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dog almost hung himself after collar got caught on his bed

5 posters

Go down

Dog almost hung himself after collar got caught on his bed Empty Dog almost hung himself after collar got caught on his bed

Post by Eleanor Mon May 26, 2014 2:12 pm

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Pup-dodges-disaster-designer-dog-bed-nightmare/story-21143006-detail/story.html

Glad he's alright.

Demps doesn't wear a collar indoors, partly for that reason. The house is extremely secure though, so there's next to zero chance of him escaping. Two baby gates for upstairs and downstairs, a double-lock front door, another gate dividing one side of the garden from the other, two heavy wooden doors at the end of the garden, as well as two huge, black, irons gates at either end of the land outside our house. I would always prefer to have extra safety measures in to prevent escapes than to leave his collar on unattended.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Dog almost hung himself after collar got caught on his bed Empty Re: Dog almost hung himself after collar got caught on his bed

Post by Caryll Mon May 26, 2014 2:21 pm

Poor dog, glad he was ok.

I've never left a collar on a dog indoors, partly for that reason.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Dog almost hung himself after collar got caught on his bed Empty Re: Dog almost hung himself after collar got caught on his bed

Post by Shisa Tue May 27, 2014 10:13 am

I only put collars on dogs if we're going somewhere.
Ann's (on Staffiesrus) Jasper got his jaw into Millie's collar and twisted; suffocating her and almost dislocating his own jaw. Luckily they were home and could cut the collar.
Flat collars are no less dangerous than any other.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Tue May 27, 2014 10:32 am

Poor dog sad
Recently, apart from when Bella is in her crate, my two have their collars on all the time because of fights. The first couple of fights they didn't have collars on and separating them was a nightmare.
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue May 27, 2014 11:32 am

Heard some horror stories of dogs suffocating after getting their collars stuck on the bars of their crates, as well.

Caroline, that's understandable! When you're around, the chances of something happening in relation to the collar are very slim, as you can keep an eye on things. It can sometimes be a bit of a juggling act to weigh the risks or doing something with the risks of not doing it.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue May 27, 2014 7:47 pm

My dogs have never worn a collar indoors. Partly because my first dogs were also shown and I didn't want collar marks in their necks, but also because I couldn't see that it was comfortable 24/7 (like me wearing a bra 24/7). I can understand your particular situation though, Caroline.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue May 27, 2014 8:18 pm

I like the comparison, Lynda! laughing I think most women will understand where you're coming from - especially on a hot day!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Tue May 27, 2014 8:39 pm

LyndaW wrote: I couldn't see that it was comfortable 24/7 (like me wearing a bra 24/7).
 laughing 
Caroline
Caroline

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue May 27, 2014 9:02 pm

Oh, Lynda, you're so right! laughing 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue May 27, 2014 10:50 pm

smug 

apart from exchanging shoes for slippers, it's the first thing that comes off when I'm relaxing for the evening. I can't help thinking that our dogs feel that "aah - not strapped up" feeling too.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue May 27, 2014 11:06 pm

I have the same thought when I take mine off at night! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Wed May 28, 2014 6:04 am

Your collar??? Hahahaha...
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Wed May 28, 2014 9:26 am

laughing That too!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Wed May 28, 2014 11:16 am

Shisa wrote:Your collar??? Hahahaha...

laughing 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Wed May 28, 2014 7:37 pm

laughing 
Caroline
Caroline

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down