All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Family furious after being given a service dog who does not do its job

+2
Caryll
Eleanor
6 posters

Go down

Family furious after being given a service dog who does not do its job Empty Family furious after being given a service dog who does not do its job

Post by Eleanor Mon May 26, 2014 2:36 pm

http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2014/05/family-unhappy-with-service-dogs-training/

I can understand their anger. The man obviously has a very severe nut allergy, and yet the dog has not been trained to even detect a pile of peanuts in the same room. Not the dog's fault, but it isn't right.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Family furious after being given a service dog who does not do its job Empty Re: Family furious after being given a service dog who does not do its job

Post by Caryll Mon May 26, 2014 2:51 pm

I have to say, if I'd spent $12500 on a service dog I'd expect it to do the job it's supposed to be trained for!

I'd hazard a guess & say the training company are charlatans.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Family furious after being given a service dog who does not do its job Empty Re: Family furious after being given a service dog who does not do its job

Post by Eleanor Mon May 26, 2014 2:54 pm

Angel Service Dogs are usually good, but I don't think this dog was tested properly before being sent to a home.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon May 26, 2014 3:07 pm

But what about the other court case, and the fact that they are refusing to retrain, now, without further payments of $2500 - that's a very expensive pet dog if it can't do its job.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Mon May 26, 2014 4:18 pm

That is terrible. Trading standards will be on it though.
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon May 26, 2014 4:35 pm

A problem with a lot of service dog companies out there. It isn't just this one. The organisation itself is good, but at the end of the day the dogs are trained by people, who makes errors.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Mon May 26, 2014 8:22 pm

What a sad and worrying story.

I'm sure that this family would have (even may have) come to love the dog as a pet, but that was not what this particular dog was bought at vast expense for. No disrespect to the dog, she can't help failing in what she is not capable of.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon May 26, 2014 8:24 pm

Hayley wrote:That is terrible. Trading standards will be on it though.

Do they have the same sort of trading standards in the US as we have here?

Eleanor wrote:A problem with a lot of service dog companies out there. It isn't just this one. The organisation itself is good, but at the end of the day the dogs are trained by people, who makes errors.

I tend to disagree. The organisation can't be good if it employs people who are not doing their jobs properly & are getting away with it.

It honestly sounds like either they don't know how to train the dog to pinpoint peanuts, or they have placed the wrong dog with the clients & they just aren't compatible.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Tue May 27, 2014 9:38 am

They really should at least retrain the dog free. When you think of all the things a service dog can be trained to do, alerting the owner to peanuts should be relatively easy  straight face  I saw a programme about service dogs in the UK a while ago and it can take time for a dog to be placed with someone because they have to make sure they are a good match and work well together.
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Tue May 27, 2014 10:15 am

They'll have to retrain the dog.

Maybe they got the dogs confused and trained the wrong dog for the wrong job..
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue May 27, 2014 11:28 am

Obviously, they've royally screwed up with this one. However, I wouldn't blame the entire (very large) organisation for the mistakes of a handful of employees. As for hiring the employees in the first place, nobody's a mind reader. I'm sure if they knew that this was going to happen, they wouldn't have hired them.

I think it's far more likely that the dog has been placed with the wrong family. I hope something's sorted out in terms of a new service dog or re-training for free. Considering the amount of time it takes to train a service dog, a new service dog would probably be more appropriate.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue May 27, 2014 9:19 pm

Eleanor wrote: However, I wouldn't blame the entire (very large) organisation for the mistakes of a handful of employees. As for hiring the employees in the first place, nobody's a mind reader.

The buck must stop somewhere. When something within a large organisation goes wrong, somebody has to take responsibility.

But whoever is to blame, they must either retrain or replace the dog free of charge. As the dog has been with them for some time & is almost certainly a part of the family, I'd say that retraining (as long as it's within the dog's capability) is the way forward - for free!

Eleanor wrote: I think it's far more likely that the dog has been placed with the wrong family.

I don't see that. They knew what the dog needed to be trained for, and so that should never have happened. Again, the buck stops somewhere, and whoever's in charge must shoulder the blame, whilst making sure it doesn't happen again.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue May 27, 2014 9:23 pm

Of course, somebody has to take the blame for what happened officially. But it does happen with a lot of large organisations. Should it happen? No. What bothers me isn't so much that they sent the wrong dog or an incorrectly trained dog, but that it doesn't seem like they've taken appropriate steps to rectify the mistake.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue May 27, 2014 9:25 pm

Eleanor wrote:it doesn't seem like they've taken appropriate steps to rectify the mistake.

That's the problem - they seem to think it isn't their responsibility. They want their clients to pay extra for something that they should have done in the first place. They need to accept responsibility and retrain free of charge.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue May 27, 2014 9:39 pm

Unfortunately, there's only so much you can gain from a newspaper article. From the family's point of view, anything short of an immediate refund (or similar) is going to seem like a lack of cooperation. Authors of articles are also likely to embellish to gain a higher number of readers.

However, I do hope that the organisation will agree to supply them with a new dog. I don't think retraining will be appropriate in this case, as the family probably doesn't have much faith in the dog anymore.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue May 27, 2014 10:00 pm

Eleanor wrote:However, I do hope that the organisation will agree to supply them with a new dog. I don't think retraining will be appropriate in this case, as the family probably doesn't have much faith in the dog anymore.

True, unfortunately. Poor dog.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down