All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mother wren is not at all happy with me and Demps!

+2
Shisa
Eleanor
6 posters

Go down

Mother wren is not at all happy with me and Demps! Empty Mother wren is not at all happy with me and Demps!

Post by Eleanor Fri May 30, 2014 12:46 pm

When I took Demps downstairs just now to go to the toilet, he saw the mother fly into the nest (which is perched against out door frame) and dashed towards it. He couldn't touch it, but it was enough to scare the mother and all of her chicks out of the nest early! Luckily, our garden is closed off and difficult for predators to access, so the chicks should be okay.

Mother wren was not happy. She started to dive bomb Demps, who didn't particularly care, and made one hell of a racket!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Mother wren is not at all happy with me and Demps! Empty Re: Mother wren is not at all happy with me and Demps!

Post by Shisa Fri May 30, 2014 1:54 pm

Dempsey you silly dog! Hope they return to the nest when it's quiet.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Mother wren is not at all happy with me and Demps! Empty Re: Mother wren is not at all happy with me and Demps!

Post by Eleanor Fri May 30, 2014 2:39 pm

They should do. They don't look too small, so it probably won't affect them too much! happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Fri May 30, 2014 4:27 pm

I don't think they'll return to the nest, they can't fly strongly enough to get back to where it is. But as Eleanor says, the garden is very safe and with Dempsey around cats don't come in - not if they value their life! wink 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Fri May 30, 2014 5:50 pm

Cheeky boy! That was a brave wee wren dive bombing Dempsey.
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri May 30, 2014 7:15 pm

Very brave wren! laughing

Thankfully, we very rarely get cats. tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Fri May 30, 2014 8:24 pm

The mum wren just tut-tutted me when I took Dempsey out! Flitting around on the fence near her chicks daring me to come closer! laughing 

Brave little thing!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Fri May 30, 2014 8:36 pm

The baby wrens must be the size of bumble bees! If they are sheltering close to your fences and the adults are still caring for them then they should be OK.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Fri May 30, 2014 8:38 pm

LyndaW wrote:The baby wrens must be the size of bumble bees!  If they are sheltering close to your fences and the adults are still caring for them then they should be OK.

laughing 

Mum wren isn't much bigger! Such pretty birds, though. love 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri May 30, 2014 9:01 pm

We have a huge canopy of honeysuckle over the garden, so there's lots of protection. Magpies do come into the garden to feed, but there's not enough room for them to manoeuvre properly in order to catch a chick. happy

They really are tiny little things! With big, fat beaks!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Fri May 30, 2014 9:15 pm

It must be fantastic to see the little things.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Fri May 30, 2014 9:25 pm

It's strange, this is the second time a wren has chosen to nest right outside our door - literally!

Mother wren is not at all happy with me and Demps! Temporary_zpsd9010dfe

The nest is actually a 'roosting pocket', and there are several dotted around the garden. They are supposed to be used by birds as a safe & warm roosting place in the winter!!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri May 30, 2014 9:26 pm

It was! Despite the unfortunate circumstances, I had the pleasure of seeing them all fledge! happy There were at least six of them!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Amber Sat May 31, 2014 9:07 pm

Awww bet that was good to see! happy Sure they'll be ok, they don't tend to explode from the nest unless they are ready to leave anyway. xxx
Amber
Amber

Names of Dogs : Poppy and Millie

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat May 31, 2014 9:18 pm

They were only about a week away from fledging anyway, by the look of them. I've seen them flitting about in the garden today, so they're fine! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down