All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Government spending curbs mean fewer police dogs and horses

4 posters

Go down

Government spending curbs mean fewer police dogs and horses Empty Government spending curbs mean fewer police dogs and horses

Post by Eleanor Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:06 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27757477

What do people think about this? I think it's horrible. These animals provide such an amazing service and aren't just pets to their handlers; they're partners.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Government spending curbs mean fewer police dogs and horses Empty Re: Government spending curbs mean fewer police dogs and horses

Post by LyndaW Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:59 pm

I think it would be huge mistake to deplete the Police Dog force - the dogs do work that no human could ever do in so many areas.

Police Horses - I am undecided.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Government spending curbs mean fewer police dogs and horses Empty Re: Government spending curbs mean fewer police dogs and horses

Post by Eleanor Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm

I'll admit that I don't know quite as much about the horses, as we don't often get them around here. The dogs, though, are so important!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:35 pm

We don't have police horses around here at all. From what I have seen though their purpose is largely ceremonial, and when they have been used for crowd control some hooligans will torment them as they know the horse can't hurt them. A couple of snarling and barking GSDs would be far more effective, imho. So, as horses are immensely expensive to buy, equip and maintain, I think that if push comes to shove they could be done without in the future.

The dogs should be retained - no question.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:47 pm

I honestly wouldn't know when it comes to police horses. I think they definitely come in handy with crowd control, but the dogs seem to be more practical for every day duties. It would be a huge mistake to get rid of them!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:58 pm

It doesn't bear thinking about if all police dogs were to go.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:00 pm

Thankfully, I doubt it'll ever come to that!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:23 pm

The horses were always used for crowd control (football grounds, riots etc) but they use other methods now. Although recently I think they used horses again for a football crowd & it worked very well!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:07 am

Off topic but I saw a show where they train police horses and OMG! those horses are amazing but unfortunately not as useful as they were.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:02 am

It's just a shame that the decision to cut down on training has been made due to government cuts, instead of whether or not the training is useful. sad

The training is incredible!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down