All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sheepdogs to be replaced with robots

4 posters

Go down

Sheepdogs to be replaced with robots Empty Sheepdogs to be replaced with robots

Post by Eleanor Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:07 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/agriculture/farming/11056514/One-man-and-his-droid-could-robots-replace-sheep-dogs.html

I don't think it'll ever catch on, personally. Sheepdogs have worked alongside shepherds for centuries. They work well together and haven't needed to change. A 'robot' may be able to replicate the basic method, but there's so much more to it than that! What about the companionship that a sheepdog offers? Or the independence of an experienced sheepdog, who will work away from commands when he notices sheep that the farmer hasn't spotted.

I do like the theory, though, and I think it could be great if they applied it to something which could actually help us.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Sheepdogs to be replaced with robots Empty Re: Sheepdogs to be replaced with robots

Post by LyndaW Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:47 pm

Interesting but weird. How would a robot cope with travelling over the terrain that sheepdogs cover?

Can't see it happening personally, for that and other reasons.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Sheepdogs to be replaced with robots Empty Re: Sheepdogs to be replaced with robots

Post by Eleanor Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:15 pm

Scientists, eh? When will they learn - you just can't beat mother nature? tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:32 pm

It's kind of relevant, but you know me I'll tell this story anyway!

In the USA they have cutting ponies - they'll separate a calf from the herd (not to mention its mother) for branding etc. I saw a film some years ago of a cutting pony in action - it darted to and fro, to and fro, spinning on a penny time and again and within a very few minutes had separated the calf from the herd and driven it towards the owners. It was an impressive performance.

But here's the thing - the girl on the pony's back was a child and was hanging on for dear life to the saddle's horn whilst the pony twisted and turned and the reins were totally slack - the pony did it all on his own! Now that was impressive to the max!

I doubt very much if any robot could have done this.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:27 pm

Cutting ponies are incredible! happy I used to assume it was just any old pony, but there are specific things they look for in the temperament! So I think that there must be something there that can't just be replicated.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:19 am

I agree, they'll never replace an animal that has been trained to 'think' about its job!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:20 am

P.S. Lynda, I've seen those cutting ponies as well - they're amazing!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:34 am

Robots are a bit more expensive to maintain and not good company. If this was Robots to replace shepherds I'd believe it.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:39 am

laughing
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down