All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plan unveiled to end rabies globally

+2
Shisa
Eleanor
6 posters

Go down

Plan unveiled to end rabies globally Empty Plan unveiled to end rabies globally

Post by Eleanor Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:33 am

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/09/25/us-science-rabies-idUKKCN0HK28520140925

Interesting! I think this is great news for poorer areas, who may not have been able to afford vaccines before.

Good luck to them!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Plan unveiled to end rabies globally Empty Re: Plan unveiled to end rabies globally

Post by Shisa Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:54 pm

Mmmmhhh... Good for the dogs but rabies is carried and spread by many more animals than dogs. What about them?
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Plan unveiled to end rabies globally Empty Re: Plan unveiled to end rabies globally

Post by Eleanor Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:03 pm

One step at a time, is my guess. tongue They have to treat domesticated animals first, as they'll have the closest proximity to humans. I wouldn't want to get close enough to a raccoon to vaccinate it! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:40 pm

As you say, it's a start!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:08 pm

I'll never forget seeing a film of a man in the grip of hydra-phobia - what a terrible way to die. I had no idea that the number of people being killed each year was so high.

Smallpox has been eradicated, let's hope this is a giant step towards eradicating rabies.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:28 pm

Was it the infamous black and white one? worried
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:58 pm

Well it was black and white Eleanor, because it was a very long time ago - whether it is infamous or not I have no idea.

The poor man was contained in a kind of net/hammock thing - he was dying of thirst but the sight/smell/proximity of water had thrown him into an uncontrollable terror.

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:00 pm

I think I've seen it - or, at least, something similar. Awful! sad
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:51 pm

That's great news happy
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:01 am

This is an excellent start. But just as an example.....

From the CDC.
"Quote"
Rabies is a disease that naturally affects only mammals. People are mammals, and so are most of our pets like cats and dogs. Lots of farm animals like cows and horses are mammals, and so are wild animals like foxes and skunks, raccoons and bats.
"End quote"

It will take far more than this to irradicate the problem.
Thankfully, rabies is not an issue in Australia.
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:00 am

Yes, it will take a lot more than this.

But control must start somewhere. I'm not so sure that complete eradication is possible, but maybe a large reduction is possible?

I think we should also bear in mind that there are two 'types' of rabies - ' ferocious' and 'paralytic'. Animals such as cattle & horses (as far as I am aware) only produce symptoms of the paralytic kind & are, therefore, less dangerous as they do not succumb to rage & attack.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:11 pm

I think it's very important to target the animals which pose a greater risk. Dogs are far more widespread and accepted in human-populated areas than certain other species, so they're more likely to transmit the disease. The majority of humans exposed to the disease contract it from domesticated animals. My guess is that the next domesticated animal vaccine will be for cats.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down