All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Registration

5 posters

Go down

Registration Empty Registration

Post by LyndaW Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:39 pm

I have made this a separate topic/debate, as it was raised in the posts regarding the latest tragic death of a baby.

The subject wasn't entirely off-topic as someone was quoted as saying that this shows that dog registration should be brought back. I saw this at the time and thought "as if a bit of paper would have stopped it", remembering as I do how dog registration worked in the UK before it was abolished. For anyone not around then, we paid 7s 6d (later 37 and a half new pence) at the post office every year for each dog we owned, and got a bit of paper saying that this was our dog. And that was it.

I guess it started off as a money making exercise, and in the 1950's when 7s 6d was not a sum to be sniffed at some dogs were actually abandoned when licensing time came around. Dog licences must have been the only thing in living history not to have risen in price - 37 and half pence was loose change when the cost of issuing the licence exceeded the revenue it brought in.

So I was amazed and not a little over-awed by Tracy's account of how dog registration works in Australia, and the policing involved.

Tracy - how much does a dog licence cost in Australia (especially in proportion to average income)? And how do people react to the official intrusion it seems to involve?

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Registration Empty Re: Registration

Post by Eleanor Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:05 pm

In an ideal world, I think it would work great for us. But we're not the same as countries like Sweden, which I think is the best, hands down, for canine control. What works well for one country doesn't always work well for another, unfortunately. We're just too different. There's a lot of work to be done in other aspects in the UK, before we try to reintroduce dog licensing. Not to offend anybody, as I love dogs as much as the next person, but I don't think it would be a good idea to bring licensing back here until we are ready to properly enforce it.

Also, people have been breeding indiscriminately for years in the UK. We have a huge problem with back yard breeding, particularly in bull breeds. Let's face it: these people, out for a quick profit, aren't going to buy licenses. And there's no easy way for police to enforce the licensing, with the amount of people who would undoubtedly refuse to cooperate.

Maybe one day, but we have a long way to go, in my opinion. (Apologies if my post is a bit jumpy - still getting used to using my new tablet!)
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:17 pm

As said until it is enforced it is pointless. We still have it here and it is a huge belief that it is just to get a bit of extra money for the gov cause noone cares if they are licensed or not, i have never heard of anyone getting fined for not having one done.
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:44 pm

I agree Eleanor, we in the UK have a very long way to go before registration of dogs would a) become accepted again and b) be policed (and accepted to be) in the way that Tracy has indicated.

Hayley, I'm very very surprised to hear that registration is still operating in Northern Ireland!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:37 pm

They seem to be taking more of a 'introduce new legislation' stance at the moment, in terms of control in public.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:17 am

We have dog licensing as well. If your dog is neutered it costs you R25.00 per year (about 2 loaves of bread). If they're not neutered the cost goes up to about R350 per year. If you want to breed you have to apply for a special license that costs R2500 for Kennel Union registered dogs and R3500 for unregistered dogs per year.
You are also only allowed 2 dogs and cats per property but you can apply for a special license to keep more pets that costs R500 per year.

It is not really policed BUT if someone should report you to the Municipality (our Council) you have a heap of trouble, fines, law suits and your animals are confiscated.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:33 am

Maybe one day the UK will sort itself out enough to be able to do something like that. sad
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:29 am

I just wish it was policed/enforced better. You can basically get away with anything till someone complains. They don't really check up.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:35 am

One of my concerns with licencing, though, is the cost.

It has to be enough to fund policing but then the elderly/low income families wouldn't be able to afford it. Having a dog shouldn't be the right of the wealthy!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:49 pm

It's just loaded with complications, isn't it? sad
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:54 pm

Here if you have a neutered dog it is very cheap. It's less than a pack of cigarettes. If your dog isn't neutered it's more expensive but not ridiculously so.
I like that it sort of convinces people to neuter because they can save a lot of money.
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:11 pm

Given that choice, I would probably neuter, as the cost difference is substantial. Might not be happy about it, but I can see why they've done it.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum