All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anybody here ever had back problems?

+3
Hayley
Caroline
Eleanor
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Has anybody here ever had back problems? Empty Has anybody here ever had back problems?

Post by Eleanor Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:33 pm

On that last horrible Wednesday, I hurt my back as I tried to get away from the car that came up onto the pavement. It's still really painful and I was wondering if anybody here has had back trouble - and how did you deal with it?
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Has anybody here ever had back problems? Empty Re: Has anybody here ever had back problems?

Post by Caroline Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:16 pm

Ooo, back pain is horrible. I think you should go an get it checked out by the Doctor. It might need some anti-inflamitories. I have physio exercises for my back but something like that might make an injury worse. I fell down the stairs a few weeks ago and couldn't have done the exercises. I'm always doing something stupid to hurt myself so I have a constant store of ibuprofen and paracetamol lol
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Has anybody here ever had back problems? Empty Re: Has anybody here ever had back problems?

Post by Eleanor Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:23 pm

Yeah, I'm going to book an appointment, hopefully for next Thursday.

Poor you! hug
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:26 pm

That's a while to wait when your in pain sad have to tried ibuprofen or a heat/cold pad?
(sorry I have to add the standard "make sure you eat before taking ibuprofen" drive my friends and family nuts with that :p)
Caroline
Caroline

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:35 pm

I'm allergic to Ibuprofen laughing Found that out the hard way! Although my doctor paid no attention to that last year, when I went to get painkillers for something and told him. He gave me 'strong pain killers'. I didn't think to double check the ingredients. laughing

I've taken painkillers, though! happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:40 pm

Argh! you wouldn't think to check the ingredients when you've told the doc about the allergy, they should know what they are handing out shocked Sorry I can't think of anything else apart from ibuprofen sad
Caroline
Caroline

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:43 pm

I never went back to him! laughing Luckily, I'm not badly allergic, although I would have checked if I was.

I usually take Solpadeine Max, which is quite good.

Thanks! hug
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:47 pm

laughing I would avoid him too.

hug
Caroline
Caroline

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:54 pm

I got the impression he wasn't too patient with 'female problems'. tongue I think he just palmed me off with overprices Ibuprofen because he thought I was exaggerating.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:31 pm

I've had a sore back for weeks now (since the dog groomers tbh..)

I'm just trucking on at the mo cause I can't afford a chiro (the horse had one though lmao)
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:41 pm

Nah, I wouldn't go to a chiropractor. I'll either wait for it to get better or go to the doctor. happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:15 pm

I really don't want to be a downer but.... go see everybody! Evaluate every opinion. 

Jess knocked me off a stump 9 yrs ago onto brick paving, flat on my back. After an hr in the yard not being able to move, I didnt go to the Dr. I thought, I'm ok, it would be ok & heal. It has never been right again. It didnt heal well. 6 mths ago I twisted the wrong way putting on my trackies & I spent a mth walking & sitting in pain.

GO HAVE IT SEEN TO! My back will never be the same again.
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:29 pm

Chill out! laughing I'm going to the doctor next Thursday. I'm not an expert, but I'm almost certain it's just a pulled muscle.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:31 pm

I've had a dodgy back for nearly 60 years so have some experience of how to treat it! And over the years I have tried almost everything, including chiropractic and osteopathy.

As you are already doing, the first thing is to do your best to find out the cause of the pain (not as easy as it sounds sometimes, unfortunately).

Muscular pain is the most common, especially if it comes on suddenly after some sort of accident or twist or strain. The trouble with muscles in the back is that they have a sort of "memory" whereby they'll suddenly go "ooh we've got to protect the spine" and go into spasm, which is agonizing. Only slightly less painful is when the muscle is tight all the time. I'm not a great taker of pain-killers myself, but find the best self-help is a) not tensing up against the pain b) applying local heat via a hot-water bottle or heated wheat pillow [I have permanently scarred my back this way so be careful it's not too hot] c) in the shower, bend over with the hot water playing on the sore place and bend your back up and down slowly being careful to stretch the muscles without tensing them.

d) will need the help of someone else. Lie on your tummy, relax, and have your helper gently smooth local inflam gel such as Ibrupofen or Diclofenac (Voltarol) into the area, gradually increasing the pressure with their fingers and thumbs until they encounter a knotted hard area. Then the thumb should be applied firmly to the knotted muscle, wiggling it from side to side (this will hurt!). Sometimes the muscle will suddenly relax and soften, more often the muscle will gradually give up the fight - be careful not to do overdo this and make the skin sore - 5 minutes max is enough at a time.

Good luck Eleanor!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:53 pm

Thanks, Lynda! hug hug hug That's really helpful - I'll try what you've suggested!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:00 pm

Glad to be of service, ma'am!

btw, do you have any numbness or pain going down a leg?
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:16 pm

No, no numb legs! Just really achy, stiff and painful. tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:48 pm

Good, no pressure on sciatic nerves then.

Well, if you give my "remedies" a go, at the very least you won't be worse off and you may get some comfort.  And if they don't work at all then that will help the doctor to know.

Back pain is miserable and you have my sympathies hug  hug  hug  

Good luck Eleanor, do let me know how you go on.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:11 pm

Thanks very much hug Really nice of you! I'll let you know!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:21 am

Ill try some too - mines pain from 1) large boobs 2) bending over and not using my legs to lift 3) i haunch my shoulders terribly when i'm stressed out and this past weeks been terrible soooooooooo lol
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:19 am

Well Hayley, although my experience and "remedies" relate to the lumbar spine area, I would think that they would be effective on the upper back as well, which I'm guessing is your problem.

1) No experience,not my problem at all! (think fried eggs!) I can imagine though that this would put strain on the back between the shoulders.
2) Double-edged sword ... I've now got crap knees! Do try to find alternative ways of lifting/transporting heavy things. For example, hay or straw bales - a mini manual forklift.
3) Stress and tension! I would recommend my (a) through to (d) - especially (d) if you are in real discomfort. And rel a a a a x those shoulders!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:49 am

Lynda, you're a gem! hug
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:22 pm

Yikes. I made sure, right from the start, that I got into the habit of lifting with the knees! Painful!

Yes, Lynda, you're a star! happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:04 pm

blush

If I can help, I'm only too pleased to be able to do so.

How are you today Eleanor and Hayley?

LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:23 pm

hug hug hug

Still painful, but managed to drag my sorry self into university today. tongue Went down to the pub with friends on our two hour (happy happy happy) lunch break for a half pint of cider and some soup!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next