All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

havent a clue what to name the title. But have a read!

+2
Eleanor
Mylo14
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

havent a clue what to name the title. But have a read!  Empty havent a clue what to name the title. But have a read!

Post by Mylo14 Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:00 pm

Went to the vets the other week to sort the flea issue out.

The elderly receptionist told me not to buy anything from the vets because there's an eBay page with everything exactly the same for a fraction of the price and that with the baby money is precious

Flea spray in the vets = £58
Exactly the same flea spray on eBay - £11

Kerching!!!

mrpetsuk

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=201133204883

This is the link to the spray. If you click on seller and follow you'll never lose him. Sells loads of things for a lot cheaper. I think the odd thing is equal price as vets. But majority is cheaper

Mylo14

Names of Dogs : Mylo

Back to top Go down

havent a clue what to name the title. But have a read!  Empty Re: havent a clue what to name the title. But have a read!

Post by Eleanor Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:39 pm

It should be fine to get stuff from there, provided it's the real deal. The stuff you usually need to stay away from is the overly cheap, generic brand ones you find in supermarkets.

Make sure you don't apply that directly to Mylo, though! happy I'm pretty sure it's furniture/house treatment.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

havent a clue what to name the title. But have a read!  Empty Re: havent a clue what to name the title. But have a read!

Post by Mylo14 Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:43 pm

Yeah it's exactly the same, and came sealed. It's great. Seems to have worked.

Haha I didn't lol. Poor pooch!

Mylo14

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:47 pm

Glad you've found something that works! happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mylo14 Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:58 pm

Yes happy

We literally bleached the house from top to bottom, then put citrus wood cleaner down and that shake and vac stuff on the carpets. And then power washed the garden with this cherry snow foam for the car lol. Scrubbed the dog, he actually kept still for once lol. Boil washed the towels we used to dry him. And haven't seen any since! So fingers crossed

Mylo14

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:06 pm

Wow. I shouldn't think the tiniest microbe could survive that blitz!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mylo14 Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:34 pm

Best not! I'll move house and will shave Mylo if the manage to survive that

Mylo14

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:40 pm

I do understand perfectly; as explained previously I went through the same thing some years ago now, but can remember how besieged it makes one feel - and itchy!

Frontline saved my sanity then (both spot on for the dog and spray for the house), and now I use Advocate spot on for Kuchar and touch wood ....
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Mylo14 Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:57 pm

I think it's front line we use. And it failed us haha. No longer trust the brand lol. I'll try that advocate stuff next time!

Hate fleas. They make me feel all scratchy. This spray reckons it'll last a 12 month. Hopefully it does, it's purpose is to stop the life cycle. And kills spiders

Mylo14

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:31 pm

OMG if it kills spiders too I'll be getting some!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Mylo14 Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:46 pm

Haha it does too! Our house is really old so the buggers are always here. I haven't seen a single one in 10 days! Fabulous stuff!

Mylo14

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:04 pm

Thank you for the tip! My house isn't terribly old but spiders of all sorts are my horror (I don't like sharing my house with any creepy-crawlies but apart from fleas, spiders are the worst) so I will be getting some!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:59 pm

Frontline has started to become less than effective apparently. A lot of people have found that.

Advocate is supposed to be better, but I don't use anything on Dempsey so I can't say first hand.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:08 pm

It has been about 15 years (+/-) since I used Frontline. It was very effective against fleas at that time.

I now use Advocate spot-on monthly on Kuchar, which protects against all sorts of nasties (lungworm etc) as well as fleas.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:04 am

I use advocate for the dogs & every year I use mortin bombs in the house. (You are supossed to do it 6mthly but yearly works well.)

I haven't had a flea problem in the house or dogs. No spider, cockroach problem in the house till the odd spider at the 10-12 mnth period.... I can't remember the last time they (dogs) even had a dirt flea? & it's very dry in summer here. They will bite me outside on occasion but I haven't found one on my dogs even as they are in the same area.

I find these 2 products eliminate all fleas from the dog & all stages in the house & keep them at bay.
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Mylo14 Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:11 am

I'll get the advocate stuff then. Will try anything lol wish the was like a flea spray you could use on the pet itself. I think that would be so much easier

One question, obviously I can't now as its winter. But are you allowed to shave a husky/collie in the summer? I was always told no, but I could have sworn I saw a few bald huskys lol

Mylo14

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:15 am

Afraid not! happy Because of the way both breeds are 'designed' with thick, long fur, it can actually cause problems if they're shaved. They need the fur to protect them for the sun and heat, as fur acts as an insulator for them. Because they naturally have long fur, Huskies have next to no pigment in the skin, so this is also a risk when you shave them, as you'd be exposing them to the sun.

Last edited by Eleanor on Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:17 am

You can get sprays for dogs, in fact I think that frontline do one. But vets don't recommend them because they're not as effective.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Mylo14 Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:35 am

Ah that sucks then lol. Luckily he will have his kennel outside next summer so he won't malt too much in the house. It'll just be in the evening and nights. And when we're out of course.

Ah right straight face that's a shame. Blinking dogs and fleas..

Mylo14

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:42 am

Would a Furminator help when he sheds?
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:53 am

It can be a pain, can't it?

Furminators are great! Especially if you use them outside, regularly, when he's shedding! happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:13 pm

Advocate is very easy. Like frontline, little vial spread down the spine. I find it brilliant and have used it for over 10 yrs.
Shaving is not a good idea from my experience.  Maybe a clip? Ask a groomer. They should be able to explain.

My sister breeds collies.... now we have a far warmer climate than you all & all she does is provide a kiddie clam pool in our hottest months. Hard sided, not a blow up pool. I have one for Tyson my staffy. It gets bloody hot here & at over 30c he just lays in his little pool if he's hot.

Benny... long story short...a collie x god knows what!  About12 here when they took him on? No one knows for sure, but an old boy, guessing 16 when he passed? They found him left on the station they took on. Stinking hot, dog panting excessively...45c+, the sheep shearers felt they could help him with the heat & sheared him like a sheep. No fur left! He also then had no protection from the sun nor heat! It never grew back properly! It distroyed the growth of the double coat for reasons I do not know.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:21 pm

To Mylo's mummy - believe me I can understand why you feel like shaving every hair off Mylo when you are in the throes of fighting fleas. But it is not necessary, truly!

My Dobermann had the most single and closest lying coat that you could imagine (think greyhounds if you are not familiar with Dobermanns) so I thought that I wouldn't need flea treatment - where would the beggar hide? But it happened and we were all eaten alive.

As I mentioned before, Frontline did the trick then and it's a pity that fleas seem to have gained resistance to it. If Acclaim kills the fiends off the dog - great! That's half (even 3/4) the battle.

As Tracy says, Advocate is easy. Just part the hair around the withers and spine (various places) and dot it on from the vial. (One vial a month). The stuff soaks in through the skin and protects the dog from all sorts of nasties, not least of all fleas.

You're nearly there - don't despair!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:23 pm

Oh Tracy - what are mortin bombs?
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:02 pm

Sorry, I just typed without thinking you may not have mortein there. Mortein is an aussie product/brand. I'm sure you would have a similar product there. Mortein is the 1st choise for most of us. They do indoor & out pest control of all types (nearly) & they do it VERY WELL!

It's a bomb, i set off about 8 in my house, leave with all animals for about 6 hrs. Come back, house smells lovely, hoover up any dead bugs... all good for near a year. Nothing much even tries to come in the house.

http://www.mortein.com.au/products/bombs/flea-bombs/
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next