All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shelter adoption vs Breeder purchase

+5
Caroline
Hayley
ella
Caryll
Shisa
9 posters

Go down

Shelter adoption vs Breeder purchase Empty Shelter adoption vs Breeder purchase

Post by Shisa Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:45 pm

Thought and opinions on adopting vs purchasing.
Will you always adopt a rescue, buy a puppy from a reputable breeder or are you swayed by a pair of puppy dog eyes and have no consideration either way?
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Shelter adoption vs Breeder purchase Empty Re: Shelter adoption vs Breeder purchase

Post by Caryll Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:48 pm

I've always bought a puppy, and apart from my first dog, I've done a mountain of research first. But that's mainly because I like to train from a pup, and rescue centres don't like where I am now!
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Shelter adoption vs Breeder purchase Empty Re: Shelter adoption vs Breeder purchase

Post by Shisa Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:35 pm

I know of many very good homes that have been rejected by recues because of some silly rule: Not in their area, yard not perfect, there's a bull terrier breed already in the home, they won't allow a third dog or won't allow 2 males.
I think more personal attention should be placed on the individual, their knowledge and capabilities.
Many, many dogs are returned for silly reasons (as per Eleanor's post) that are deemed the 'right' home.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:06 pm

For me both, depends what I'm looking for. Harvey we bought and chance is a rescue so both
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:16 pm

I do both. I have had dogs from shelters, ones who have been rehomed for free, prdigree pups and pups of unknown breeding. I've never had a bad dog they're all the same really.
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:20 pm

I would rescue if I could but because of where I live I can't. I would have thought that a permanent home, even though there is no garden, is better than maybe spending months/years in a kennel at a rescue or being pts
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:59 pm

Puppy every time I'm afraid. I know myself and that I can't love a dog whole-heartedly unless I have had him/her since a puppy.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:18 am

I've done both.  I like to rescue if I can, but I've really enjoyed my puppies.  Now the decision rests solely with the incumbent dogs. I've had private rescues in the past, Aslan was from the Blue Cross, but many rescue organisations would not consider me suitable. With puppies, especially with my preferred breed, research has to be key.
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:38 am

Caroline wrote:I would rescue if I could but because of where I live I can't. I would have thought that a permanent home, even though there is no garden, is better than maybe spending months/years in a kennel at a rescue or being pts

Absolutely! wink

LyndaW wrote:Puppy every time I'm afraid.  I know myself and that I can't love a dog whole-heartedly unless I have had him/her since a puppy.

I know what you mean - many people feel the same. I prefer to have a dog from a pup, but I wouldn't say that I'd never get a rescue.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Deactivated Upon Request Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:59 pm

Oreo is a rescue. We had her from a rescue because we made a decision that it wasn't fair to have a puppy and leave it for a few hours a day while it was growing. I thought we were very honest with ourselves at the time and still believe it was the correct decision.

Since we've had Oreo she's had no end of medical issues, some of which we think the rescue had kept from us. Now you cannot guarentee that a pup will be healthy but you can minimise the risks by having the correct tests done with the parents etc.

I think as long as the person does the reasearch properly then a decision will depend on a persons situation.

I would love love love a puppy but at the minute our life dictates we cannot.

Deactivated Upon Request
Deactivated Upon Request

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:04 pm

Basicially, what everybody else has said! happy Depends on what you're looking for in that particular dog, I guess!

Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:08 am

I have dogs bought for a purpose (Xan, Axel), that I just wanted because I adore the breed (Missy, Bruno) and that ended up with me (Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Lequita) ... probably through divine intervention tongue
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down