All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dogs, among several other animals, use natural remedies to self-medicate

4 posters

Go down

Dogs, among several other animals, use natural remedies to self-medicate Empty Dogs, among several other animals, use natural remedies to self-medicate

Post by Eleanor Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:01 am

Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Dogs, among several other animals, use natural remedies to self-medicate Empty Re: Dogs, among several other animals, use natural remedies to self-medicate

Post by LyndaW Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:35 pm

Yes very interesting.

I have always believed that it was a fallacy to believe that a dog would chomp at grass because he wasn't feeling well. Kuchar loves to tear at fresh spring grass, but is easily pulled away.

However a few days ago he was lying on my bed in the morning and his tummy was making dreadful sounds! And he was obviously uneasy. I took him for a walk and he went straight for the long grass (winter grass), chomped and chomped and chomped at it, and would not be pulled away. And touch wood he's been fine since.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Dogs, among several other animals, use natural remedies to self-medicate Empty Re: Dogs, among several other animals, use natural remedies to self-medicate

Post by Eleanor Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:51 pm

Very often, they do chomp on grass when they feel sick! But it can also be due to thirst, as grass contains water! happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:20 pm

In the case that I mention with Kuchar, I am sure it was not thirst as he has free access to plentiful supplies of fresh clean water, as all dogs should have.

Whether he sicked-up when he got back home I can't be sure - the garden being covered with fallen leaves as autumn tends to do. But he was SO determinedly eating at the grass that I think he was self-medicating.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:30 pm

Bless him! I think it's just an instinctive reaction. Demps often chomps on grass, but he usually does it when he's thirsty. He'll also do it if he feels sick, though. Smart dogs!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorraine Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:01 am

Spring grass is full of sugar - I think they like the sweetness.
Lorraine
Lorraine

Names of Dogs : Morgan, Tristan, Uther

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:33 am

I hadn't thought of that!

We're always careful when Demps starts munching grass, as he gets carried away very easily. tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:55 am

Tyson nibbles on the grass everyday. He loves the long grass.  Fat & juicy. But when his tummy is upset he actually eats (or rips it out in chunks).

I think he eats it because he both likes it & it helps his digestion.
Grass is very helpful to a chooks digestion, though not imperative.

Jess never eats grass unless she is filling off. She eats tons & then throws up. Afterwards, she seems back to herself so, i dont know if they enjoy it or use it as medicine.

But it certainly dosent do harm unlike other garden greenery.
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:27 pm

tracyp wrote:But it certainly dosent do harm unlike other garden greenery.

Tell that to Demps! The daft dog.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:17 am

I don't know your plants there but we have a few I spend my life trying to irradicate as they will poison a dog.

You need to explain to Demps... if in doubt...leave it out! laughing
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:56 am

The grass isn't poisonous! He just eats too much of it! tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:38 am

I didn't mean the grass was poisonous.  I meant Tyson eats it like icecream. He also eats so much grass & weeds I  spend my life irradicating some of them so he cant get to them.
tracyp
tracyp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down