All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Damn woodworm!

3 posters

Go down

Damn woodworm!  Empty Damn woodworm!

Post by Eleanor Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:21 pm

We were carrying in my chest of drawers earlier, which is a very old piece of furniture! Not sure if it's hardwood or has just been stained to look like hardwood, but it's old enough to have been built back when using hardwood for furniture was still acceptable.

Anyway, the age was obviously catching up with it, as the legs at the back fell off. sad Inspected the broken pieces, to find that they resembled a cross between an old sponge and a piece of honeycomb!

A couple of years ago, woodworm got into my bedroom and started attacking all of my wooden furniture. I got rid of them easily enough, but obviously they'd managed to do damage to this piece of furniture before I could sort it out. Chances are, they started off on that! It's about 30 years old!

Going to have to prop it up on makeshift stilts in the morning! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Damn woodworm!  Empty Re: Damn woodworm!

Post by Caryll Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:21 am

It's well over 30 years old, I think it was mine when I was a child & it wasn't new then!

I'm sure dad will find something to use as a prop/repair.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by tracyp Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:05 pm

I love old wood & refuse to have anything new in my house.  I hope its not too far gone & your dad can repair it.

I have restored & french polished numerous items. If it just needs a touch up (few holes filled).... an old wood turner / french polisher taught me to get sawdust of the same wood, mix it with wood glue & it covers & strengthens wood without hardly being seen. Then shellac, sand, shellac, sand (french polish) & you wont even know. & IT WORKED!
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:49 pm

I'm not getting rid of it, as it's still standing. The bottom is a mess of holes all the way through the wood, so there's nothing that can be done to repair it. It should still be fit for purpose, though!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum