All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blue Staffies

4 posters

Go down

Blue Staffies Empty Blue Staffies

Post by LyndaW Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:11 pm

I thought the fad for blue staffies was past (I haven't seen any recently) but, oh dear:-

The daughter of my sister's friend (let's call her Jane) is in a turbulent relationship and decided she wanted a puppy (the family always had dogs since she was little). Two weeks ago she "ordered" a blue Staffy bitch puppy from a breeder in Newton Abbot (many many miles from her home) and when she collected it it was apparently younger than advised, didn't seem well and had a "runny tummy". As she had already paid a £200 deposit and desperately wanted this pup, she took it home. Within hours the pup was at the vet's and on a drip, but sadly they couldn't save her as she had a heart defect. Good for the vet - it seems he was furious and phoned the breeder, tore him off several strips and reported him (to whom I don't know).

Well, Jane was devastated and immediately bought another Staffy bitch puppy from a different breeder, who is much more robust and doing well. But - she's another blue! sigh

I've told my sister about skin problems and inbreeding, and that the coat will probably change colour as the pup matures (has anyone ever seen an adult blue Staff? I haven't) and she will tactfully introduce these points to her friend with the recommendation that the vet keeps a close eye on this pup.

I don't know any more than I've told you (as my sister told me) but I feel so worried, not only for the pup but for Jane herself.

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Blue Staffies Empty Re: Blue Staffies

Post by Caryll Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:15 am

Oh, poor, poor pup! I'm afraid that was probably nothing to do with colour, but more to do with a 'get rich quick' puppy farm! Makes me so mad!

Blues DO have problems, mainly with skin issues, but other if they're from health tested parents (I don't suppose you know that?) they shouldn't be any more likely to fall ill than any other pup.

I have seen an adult, deep blue dog, but generally they get paler as they grow, and often get 'orange' brindling, so she shouldn't expect the pup to stay the same slate blue colour that it probably is now. It's possible, of course, but unlikely!

She should just be aware of any significant hair loss or seemingly 'sensitive' skin.
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:02 pm

I suspect the heart defect resulted from inbreeding to produce this "desirable" transient colour.

I have also seen a blue pup that developed orange brindling as it matured (although still a pup). The reason I mentioned never seeing a blue adult (that ash-grey colour) was because I saw quite a few as puppies in the neighbourhood and to the best of my knowledge have not seen these puppies (of whatever colour they developed) in maturity. Maybe the owners moved away - I am just hoping that the pups weren't given up .... or worse.

I think the chances of this new pup being from health-tested parents are low, but I really don't know.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:43 am

Some people just won't listen. They see that deep, slate blue/grey colour and WANT it! Some breeders know that & so breed whatever to whatever just to get the pups. If that means brother to sister or mum to son etc then so be it. Money, money, money.

I quite like blues, and a well bred one (for example Yankeestaff Staffords) is very attractive. But colour shouldn't be the be all and end all.

I really hope that Jane and pup will have many healthy & happy years ahead, though!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:59 pm

Thank you Caryll, so do I
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:12 pm

Poor thing sad
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:47 am

Poor baby.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:23 pm

Funnily enough, I saw a (dark) blue Staffy today at the vets. He is 20 months old and looked fantastic!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:38 am

It isn't an unpleasant colour, and can be quite beautiful. But the solid dark blues are often from two blue parents which isn't best practice. Much better to be from a black or black brindle & a blue.

At Crufts I even saw a blue that almost had a black nose. Lovely looking dog.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:11 pm

Sorry Caryll, I missed your reply until now.

Obviously in a vet's waiting room I couldn't question the dog's owner, but he was a lovely looking dog, lean and muscular with a good dark coat. I can't remember whether he had a black nose but his eyes were definitely light hazel.

It's the light grey "blues" that I wonder about. I saw several light grey Staffy pups a year or two ago and very pretty they were, but I have not seen an adult light grey Staff.

LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:43 pm

I remember one from the Niceboard forum. I think it was Jason's dog(?) and he was a very pale blue. I'm guessing that a lot of them probably darken as they age.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:46 pm

I must admit I can't remember the dog you are speaking of, Eleanor. I just hope that all of these pretty grey puppies grew up happily and healthily, whatever colour they ended up.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:05 pm

Hopefully they all grew up alright! happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:56 pm

Most of the lighter ones develop brindling as they get older & it changes their whole look.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:08 pm

I did see one light grey pup that was developing brindling. Maybe it's just coincidence and all these grey pups have moved away from my area.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:12 pm

I must admit that I see very few blue or blue brindle (or fawn brindle for that matter) staffs, despite the fact that over half of Stafford registrations are blue/fawn!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:35 pm

Weird, isn't it?!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:01 pm

It is weird - I would expect to see them everywhere!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down