All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good article re: babies, dogs & the recent tragedies

3 posters

Go down

Good article re: babies, dogs & the recent tragedies Empty Good article re: babies, dogs & the recent tragedies

Post by Caryll Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:06 pm

Taken from Dog World Newspaper:

Can we prevent tragedies occurring?
by Geraldine Cove-Print
Created: 20/02/2014

Babies – they cry, a lot. For a new born it really is the only way they can make their situation of concern to their mother. The cry of a very young baby is intense, it’s a hard wired security system so that it is incredibly difficult for a mother to ignore and that’s the way it’s meant to be. The new born is a tightly wrapped little body with two basic needs, sleep and food. The cry is their means to alert another human that it is either hungry or can’t sleep because there is discomfort, pretty simple really you would think. After all, new born puppies do the same thing and anyone who has heard a puppy in distress calling to a new mother knows you better get out of the bitch’s way because she’s on a mission!

Human’s have rather poor hearing compared to dogs, but the maternal instinct can be very strong in both, with stories of dogs who will wet nurse all manner of youngsters and human mothers who have difficulty controlling lactation when there is a wailing Siamese cat nearby it’s clear that for some the power of a baby’s cry for help is overwhelming. The terrible news of what appears to be dog attacks on very young children is horrendous. There are questions to be asked but overriding all of this, is the horror of such young lives lost. I have written here before about introducing companion dogs to new babies but I thought it is worth revisiting to perhaps try and understand what went so badly wrong with the recent tragedies.

Apart from the cry of a baby which will stimulate a confusion of feelings within a dog there is the issue of scent. I love the smell of puppy breath, I don’t even mind the inevitable task of dealing with puppy waste but for me, the smells I associate with babies are no where near as pleasant. For a dog the scent of a baby must be overpowering and very strange. Most babies on arrival home from hospital will have many aromas clinging to their bodies and blankets. There is the recognisable smell of detergent and fabric softener but then the dog picks up the child’s own unique and complex scent signals. Add to that two scents that the dog will already have a preconceived recognition for, milk and excreta. Those two will be of great curiosity for the dog, milk because it is possible food and excreta because, for a dog, it’s the prime identification source of an individual.

We have all seen how older dogs will flip puppies over to inspect them closely; they are seeking information to enable them to know how to behave around that individual. It’s not just the mother of the puppies that is attracted to cleaning the puppies thoroughly; it seems the waste matter is a tasty treat. Perhaps it is designed to be this way to encourage routine grooming, therefore promoting regular bowel movements. I am not for one moment suggesting a new born is put on the floor for your dog to turn over, for now I am trying to help you see the world through a dog’s eyes.

From the dog’s point of view a stranger has entered his home, the unusual smells and the confusing noises that emanate from this bundle are both fascinating and of concern. The owners of the dog are likely to be acting differently too, using voices usually reserved for the dog as they gently welcome the baby home. The dog is denied access even before he has decided how to behave around the newcomer. It is possible that a dog who was allowed free range of the home is suddenly restricted in his territory and it’s clear the stranger calls the shots in the first few days as new parents struggle to find a routine.

A baby should never be left with any dog, not for a second. Am I suggesting that any dog could hurt a baby? Yes I am. Dogs and people make mistakes all the time and the family dog is still processing information about the stranger and could so easily make a tragic mistake about baby’s position in the home. The baby could be anything from a precious youngster that needs caring for, through to prey and unless you have made it crystal clear to your dog how to react to your child there could be trouble ahead.

We don’t know the details of any of the dog attacks reported across the media because no-one can ever give the dog’s point of view. It is enough that the dog has caused damage and becomes the focus of the anger. Does the breed make a difference? In my personal opinion, breed characteristics are relevant but not the reason behind an attack on a baby. Some breeds or crosses are more reactive than others but a dog may make an aggressive mistake from fear so one cannot rule out an individual because it has shown no aggression in the past, this is a unique situation for a dog and needs careful, appropriate handling.

The dog certainly needs preparation for this extreme life changing event. New parents should consider how their dogs exercise and feeding regime will fit into the new plan and make the adjustments before the due date. By allowing the dog to become accustomed to the new smells of lotions and talcum powder used the onslaught of aroma won’t be such a shock and making sure the dog knows that toys that are not his are out of bounds.

Stepping up obedience training in the weeks before the big event is a good idea to reinforce basic rules of the house and the relationship you share. The stair gate is invaluable; there are extra tall gates available which I personally prefer and even one that can be opened hands-free. This gate operates with a foot pedal, not a good idea if you have a dog with above average intelligence. It may be less hassle to turn door handles upside down or replace with round knobs, although I have had an enterprising Setter who could open these too!

Preparation is the key here, children and dogs have mixed safely for centuries, the presence of a very young baby is very different to introducing a dog to children of five years and older. The dog has no cue from the baby as to how to behave and so it has to be given the instruction from the adult human and probably one of the most important commands to ensure the dog understands and reacts to immediately is ‘sit’. It’s worth practising this command holding a bundle of towels in your arms as well as from a sitting position and even while you lie down as quite often the dog has learned to react from a physical cue that you may be unaware of, rather than the verbal direction.

We are probably no further forward to knowing why these small lives have been lost over the last few weeks but I’m sure those who have successfully raised children alongside dogs of all kinds will be stunned that such an event could occur. Accidents happen, but by putting in place safety conscious rules and making good preparation for your home and your companion the risks reduce to an acceptable level. My childhood would have been very different without the company of the many dogs that shared our lives, my hope is that we educate new families rather than shoot the messenger.

Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Good article re: babies, dogs & the recent tragedies Empty Re: Good article re: babies, dogs & the recent tragedies

Post by LyndaW Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:24 pm

Thought provoking - thank you Caryll.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Good article re: babies, dogs & the recent tragedies Empty Re: Good article re: babies, dogs & the recent tragedies

Post by Eleanor Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:25 pm

Excellent article! For once, somebody has put across a sensible, reasonable opinion!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:12 pm

The thing that everyone MUST learn from this and other tragedies is that it is never safe to leave a dog - any dog - alone with a baby even for a micro-second, and particularly at night-time when the parents are asleep the dog should not be able to access the room where the baby sleeps, and awakes and cries.

This is not say that most dogs are potential child-killers, far from it. I'll leave alone the possibility of jealousy because I have had no experience of that, but ....

How many of us give squeaky toys to our dogs to play with? Almost 100% I'd guess. Some toys now available and very excitable to our dogs not only squeak, but cry, grunt, wail and moan. My son now won't allow Kuchar to play with his latest toy (from PAH) because the sounds that it emits are so harrowing, and tbh I can see his point, much as Kuchar loves it. My brother-in-law gave the same toy to his English Springer, and it was torn to pieces.

I don't think I need to bang home my thoughts ....

LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:17 pm

I agree. Dogs can kill a baby even without rough play. Babies have been smothered by dogs cuddling up to them. No dog should ever be left alone with any babies or children. Full stop.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:19 pm

People don't think.

Or rather, if they do think, they anthropomorphise. They think "My dog is friendly, therefore he/she won't do anything wrong". But the dog very often doesn't know it's doing wrong - it's just following its instincts.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:51 pm

You are so right Caryll, dogs are not humans and don't think or react like humans.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down