All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My puppy isn't housebroken at all?

3 posters

Go down

My puppy isn't housebroken at all? Empty My puppy isn't housebroken at all?

Post by nappukka Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:56 pm

I have a 4 months old tibetan spaniel and I've had him for 5-6 weeks. He still doesn't understand what he's supposed to do outside. He's scared to even be outside, he focuses on people and cars there. I take him out 3 times a day, in the morning, afternoon and evening. Around 20-30 minutes each route. He's not as afraid as he was in the beginning but he starts to whine at some point, usually after a couple of minutes we've been outside. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. He has done his needs outside altogether 3 times during the time he's been with me, yes only three times. It is frustrating. I've always given him a treat right away when he's done his needs outside. It's freezing out, so the thing is that we can't be there for over 30 minutes or my puppy shakes and so do I. I never punish him when he does his needs inside or anything, my puppy likes me and he's not nervous with me etc etc. So I only have one idea left, if I taught him the word "pee" and the other word, so he would pee when I tell him to, would that work? Is that an ok thing to do? I think it's the only idea I've got left. Or I hope someone will answer with some reasonable advice :)Thank youu.

ECdogs, sadly I don't have a garden or even a bit of space, just a balcony. straight face

Last edited by nappukka on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
nappukka
nappukka

Back to top Go down

My puppy isn't housebroken at all? Empty Re: My puppy isn't housebroken at all?

Post by Caryll Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:58 pm

Hi nappukka.

I'm at work at the moment, but I'll post as soon as I get back. In the meantime, someone will be along soon to help you!
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:06 pm

Hiya!

You could teach him to pee on command, but I'm afraid that he would need to be toilet trained first, so that's not really a good option for you right now.

Do you have a garden? I'm asking because, very often, a young dog won't always like doing his business outside of his home, as it can be quite scary. If you have a garden, or even a quiet space just outside your house, it can help to take him out there about half an hour/one hour after his meals, at which point he would be more likely to need to go to the toilet.

It might help you to write down the times of the day he usually goes to the toilet, and then try to schedule toilet breaks for him at these times. happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:15 pm

That's a shame. Is there anywhere quiet you could take her near your house?

By the way, you can post a separate reply by scrolling to the bottom of the page and typing into the 'quick reply' box. happy This makes it easier for people to see your posts, rather than editing your original post
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:54 pm

Would you be happy for him to use your balcony until he's fully in control of his bladder & bowels? If so, you could lay an old piece of towelling or material that you can easily clean & take him out to it every hour or so. If he pees/poos on it, give him praise. If he does his toilet inside, then ignore it - just clean it up without a fuss. But make sure you clean it properly; a solution of biological washing powder or liquid will get rid of all traces of urine.

If he doesn't like his walks, make them fun! Take treats or a squeeky toy with you & keep your voice light & cheerful. Encourage him all the time & give him praise when he's happy.

I know it's cold, but his coat will protect him from most of the chill. Maybe you could also get him a little coat to put on?

What do you feed him, by the way? The type & brand of food often has a bearing on toilet habits!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down