All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What approach do you usually take to training?

3 posters

Go down

What approach do you usually take to training? Empty What approach do you usually take to training?

Post by Eleanor Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:41 pm

We have to be very firm with Dempsey, as he's the type to take advantage of any lapse in training. He responds very well to praise though, which is good, as I prefer using reward-based training. Can't stand the 'pack leader' training methods; pinning a dog down, for instance, is something I will never do in training.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

What approach do you usually take to training? Empty Re: What approach do you usually take to training?

Post by ella Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:51 pm

We certainly don't use the dominance theory - but I expect a lot from my boys in terms of behaviour and push them to get the best out of them i.e weight training and similar pursuits. I wouldn't say i'm overly firm with them, and certainly do treat/praise/positive reward based training but firm enough happy
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

What approach do you usually take to training? Empty Re: What approach do you usually take to training?

Post by Caryll Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:55 pm

I think most dogs respond well to firm but fair training. Pack leader stuff is just nonsense, although it does sometimes appear to work.

Dempsey's a stubborn dog & you do need to be firm with him, but as Eleanor says, he responds well to praise & really well to treats!
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down