All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How can I make my scared puppy like being outside?

2 posters

Go down

How can I make my scared puppy like being outside? Empty How can I make my scared puppy like being outside?

Post by nappukka Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:37 am

He whines there and doesn't want to move, stares at people and cars, he tries to jump around.. How can I make him like being there? sad
nappukka
nappukka

Back to top Go down

How can I make my scared puppy like being outside? Empty Re: How can I make my scared puppy like being outside?

Post by Eleanor Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:01 pm

Bless him! What you could try doing is starting him off from a safe place - for instance, putting his collar and lead on so that you have control and just opening the front door. That way, he's still in the house where he feels safe, but he can see outside. Puppies very often get frightened by the outdoors because there are so many new sights, smells and sounds. This method helps by providing you and your puppy with a controlled environment, which has familiar and comforting sights, smells and sounds. At the same time, he can then gradually grow accustomed to the outdoors.

As he grows more comfortable with you doing this, you can gently encourage him to go a little closer to the open door, perhaps by placing a treat in front of him. This may take a while, but the gradual habituation should help! happy

If you live in a particularly busy/noisy area, it's not surprising that he gets a bit worried by it all. happy This is why he needs to be shown that the outdoors isn't a scary place. Like everything new, it takes time to get used to it.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

How can I make my scared puppy like being outside? Empty Re: How can I make my scared puppy like being outside?

Post by Eleanor Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:05 pm

What you could also try, by the way, is progressive training. This involves picturing a goal and rewarding behaviour that leads to achieving this goal. In this case, the goal is to help your puppy to enjoy his walks. When you take him outside, reward every movement towards that goal with praise or a treat. For instance, you could give a treat to your puppy every time he takes a step forwards outside.

Remember that the reward has to be issued immediately after the behaviour has been exhibited though, as your puppy won't understand otherwise.

It may also help to identify exactly where the nervous behaviour begins. Is it actually when the walk begins or is it before you leave the house? If it's before you leave the house, try altering your routine! Many people have a routine before they take their dog for a walk - put their coat on, put their boots on, pick up the lead, etc.. This routine tells a dog that he is about to go for a walk and, with a nervous dog, gives him time to build up his anxiety levels.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down