All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does my puppy not trust me?

3 posters

Go down

Does my puppy not trust me? Empty Does my puppy not trust me?

Post by nappukka Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:59 pm

I posted another question with the sort of issue that my puppy is soon 5 months but he whines outside and doesn't want to move (unless we go to a quiet place where you don't see much people, then he moves and seems excited but still wants to go home after only 10 minutes) and on another site somebody said the issue is that my dog doesn't trust me. Signs that show I think he would trust me:

- He sleeps in my bed, if I leave it at night to go get water he follows me and comes back to the bed when I go.
- When I stroke him he lies his belly up
- He gives me kisses
- I've trained him and he knows many tricks and obeys me
- BUT he doesn't always come to me when I ask him to if I don't have a treat
- When I STARE at him, he looks away
- he can pee and poo near me.

Things that make me think he doesn't trust me:
- he doesn't like it when I try to pick him up, he starts to jump around excited
- he whines outside and doesn't come to me there at all unless I have a treat

Does it sound like he trusts me or not? How to improve the trust between us? Thank you
nappukka
nappukka

Back to top Go down

Does my puppy not trust me? Empty Re: Does my puppy not trust me?

Post by Caryll Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:50 pm

I don't think it's a trust issue.

I feel very strongly that something has frightened your pup outside, and he has lost confidence in the outside. The recall outside is something that often needs a lot of work, and I would suggest you invest in a long training lead & just practice, practice, practice!

I think with his outside issues, you're going to have to go right back to basic puppy training & take it almost literally inch by inch. Whenever you put his lead on, give him praise & make it fun. When you take him outside, talk to him all the time in a light, cheerful voice. Go as far as he's happy with, then tempt him to go just a couple of yards further, give LOADS of praise, and go home! Each time, try to go just a couple of yards further. It's going to take a bit of time, but I'm sure he'll get there!

He will be going through a 'fear stage' at the moment, so try to make all his outings positive & fun.
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:23 pm

The only thing that I can add to what's already been said is that this is going to take time. My opinion is that you should attempt to follow the advice that's been given to you in other threads, give it some time and then see if there are any results.

This behaviour has obviously been going on for a few months now, so don't expect it to be a quick fix! This is something I'm afraid you will need to be prepared to invest time and patience into. It could take weeks to achieve a happy walk, but it will be worth it in the end. Try to implement the training tips and advice you've been given over the next couple of weeks; with patience and perseverance, you should start to see some improvement. happy
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:21 am

P.S. Don't stare at a timid/nervous dog as it'll make it worse! thumbs up 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by nappukka Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:47 am

Thank you all! happy

And Caryll I won't, I didn't know it was a bad thing but it makes sense. Thank youu
nappukka
nappukka

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:41 pm

No problem! happy Dogs can be difficult sometimes, but it's worth the work!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down