All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you think about 'exaggerated' breeds?

5 posters

Go down

What do you think about 'exaggerated' breeds? Empty What do you think about 'exaggerated' breeds?

Post by Eleanor Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:01 pm

Please be respectful of others' opinions. happy

I personally am not a fan of exaggerated breeds if it affects the health. However, I do understand that the majority of breeders are trying to improve the health of these breeds and that it takes time to do this.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

What do you think about 'exaggerated' breeds? Empty Re: What do you think about 'exaggerated' breeds?

Post by Caryll Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:53 pm

I suppose a lot depends on what you call 'exaggeration'. The Bull Terrier has an exaggerated head, some more so than others.

I certainly don't like any exaggeration that is detrimental to health, but others I can put up with.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

What do you think about 'exaggerated' breeds? Empty Re: What do you think about 'exaggerated' breeds?

Post by Eleanor Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:01 pm

Tbh, if it doesn't negatively affect the health, I don't see a problem. If it does, I think it needs to be rectified.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:10 pm

Yes, some of the really squashed in faces are bad, as are the really domed heads of breeds like the king Charles.
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:13 pm

It's a shame, really, that people have become obsessed with aesthetics over health. Of course, I don't believe that any dog is ugly. I do wish that breeders had considered the possible consequences of the exaggerations before all of this happened.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:17 pm

I'm on the fence. I don't personally like the face of bulldogs and mastifs. king charlies etc, not because of health (although that is a big part) i just don't like the look, i prefer a longer snout. I really hate bulging weepy eyes theyre just gross. I like low maintenence dogs, health wise and coat wise. I don't think the likes of the dogs with the dreadlocks is nice, but it can't be comfortable either.
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:19 pm

Eleanor wrote:It's a shame, really, that people have become obsessed with aesthetics over health. Of course, I don't believe that any dog is ugly. I do wish that breeders had considered the possible consequences of the exaggerations before all of this happened.

Oh i definitely believe some dogs are ugly lol and it is all the ones who are totally overexaguratted. im the same with horses, i hate the way arabs have gone
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:20 pm

I don't mind the looks so much, as I know I'd fall in love with the personality and it wouldn't matter after that. Hell, Dempsey probably isn't considered the best looker of all the breeds, and I wasn't keen on the breed before we got him. Now, I think he's gorgeous! happy

I'm not keen on bulging eyes, as that can cause quite a few problems. Tear stains are a little off-putting as well!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:21 pm

Nah, I don't. tongue I think they're all gorgeous. And I love Arabs! happy They've changed a lot over the years and I prefer how they looked ten/twenty years ago, but still love them!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm

Oh i do fall in love with every dog i meet, even little rats that try to kill me, but they don't go on my list of "dogs id like" one dog i never fell in love with though is a old english sheep dog. that dog was the most unhygenic, smelly, loud, rude, unwalkable and just disgusting dog ever. I couldn't wait to get rid of it!! i think i was even rude to the owners cause of how much i hated the dog lol!
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:34 pm

laughing There are definitely dogs I wouldn't want to own. Not sure that I've met a particular dog I've hated yet, although there have been some owners...
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:34 pm

I love arabs! I know they're different now, but I really don't think it's that different. If you look at the horses still prized by the Bedouins, they have hardly changed at all!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:39 pm

What do you think about 'exaggerated' breeds? Al-Lahab

its the ones like this i dont like, the amount of problems they have is horrible. Some can hardly eat food because of how deformed they are and many have to have teeth removed just to close their mouths, also they can hardly breathe and a lot have snius problems. Just looks awful to me! Unfortunately miniatures are going that way too, the arabian style mini is a tiny version of this, and they have even more trouble cause of the deformity!

Last edited by hayley on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:41 pm

I must admit that's going too far! Not nice at all!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:42 pm

Don't like those, no, but that's because of the health problems. Personally, I don't feel that the sort of exaggeration shown in that picture is actually attractive.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:42 pm

I don't like any that cause health problems, but otherwise i don't mind. But i do love neos and yes they have health problems, but a lot of working line less wrinkled ones with very few health issues are being bred which is the sort of dog i want love
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:07 pm

A lot of working line dogs are a lot better off happy I suppose because they have to be fit for purpose, so breeders can't afford to be breeding solely for aesthetical purposes.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:36 pm

Yeah working dogs tend to be alright, apart from the way GSD went for a while and labs and their wonky hips. But once again that was because of the pet trade, not the working trade.
Hayley
Hayley

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:45 pm

Exactly. It all seems to come down to people out to make money and fame.
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:36 pm

I've got to agree with you all, but especially Hayley.

I hate over-exaggeration of so-called "desirable" points in any animal and imho judges should not encourage the trend by promoting any animal that displays it, most especially if it impacts on the health of the animal and future health of the breed. Aesthetically too, in my opinion an over-exaggerated animal goes past the point of beauty into grotesqueness.

In dogs - squished faces (even boxers were going this way at one time), sagging eyelids or bulging eyes, folds of skin and even matted hair are not only unattractive to me, but must also be uncomfortable for the dog.

I'm afraid that even working dogs haven't altogether escaped - I hope that GSDs have now improved from the roach-backed cow-hocked cripples I used to see (please delete this comment if I've gone too far!) And Dobermanns were getting far too long necks to the point where Wobblers Syndrome was a serious concern.

Your photo of the Arab horse seriously shocked me, Hayley. That the most (naturally) beautiful horse in the world is being turned into a parody is very distressing, especially if the exaggeration is harming the well-being of the horse.

I'm sorry if this has turned into a rant!

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:39 pm

Rant away!

If more people aired their views maybe the breeders would think twice!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:46 pm

Thank you Caryll! Unfortunately they're not going to listen to me, or any other Jane or Joe Bloggs. Ultimately the responsibility lies with the show judges imo.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:47 pm

Lynda, you need to stop apologising! laughing It's a good and very reasonable post - one that I definitely agree with!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:51 pm

LyndaW wrote:Thank you Caryll!  Unfortunately they're not going to listen to me, or any other Jane or Joe Bloggs.  Ultimately the responsibility lies with the show judges imo.

Yes, but public opinion can count for a lot - look what happened after Pedigree Dogs Exposed..
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:53 pm

happy 
LyndaW
LyndaW

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down