All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My boys and water

+2
Caryll
Wendy
6 posters

Go down

My boys and water Empty My boys and water

Post by Wendy Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:45 pm

My boys both love and hate water equally but in completely opposite ways.

Buster is part dolphin, whenever he sees a river, a lake or the sea he is straight in there. If he wore clothes you could imagine him running towards the water and tearing them off as he went. He has a totally fantastic time swimming. Gus will look at the water very suspiciously and he will NOT go in there to save his life. Even when we come across large puddles Buster will wade through without noticing them while Gus prissy paws around the edge of them.

However, Buster hates the rain and has to be pulled outdoors by his lead to go for a walk. If I put him in the garden when it is raining it's the same thing and I have to push and pull him out of the door - then he stands there looking through the glass and acting like an abused dog. Only when I tell him 'busy busy' a few times does he rush off, have a speed pee then races back to the door again to be let back in. Gus though - doesn't mind the rain one little bit, he doesn't seem to notice it at all.

Bathtime...Buster WILL NOT get into a bath or shower. The odd time it happens I have to strip off and get in the shower with him - and his collar and lead get all wet as I have to tie him up in order to keep him there. Gus however absolutely loves his baths. He quivers with happiness when he's in the bath and reminds me of a content toddler. I think he believes it is his 'special time' with me.

Swimming, rain, baths - what are yours like?
Wendy
Wendy

Names of Dogs : Buster and Gus

Back to top Go down

My boys and water Empty Re: My boys and water

Post by Caryll Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:59 pm

Dempsey's a sort of amalgamation of your two! Up until a couple of years ago he wouldn't put his dainty (?) feet anywhere near a puddle, let alone go in a river or lake!

Then, on a hot day by a lake, he discovered the fun! Now he won't stay out of water, although he still tippy toes around puddles.

He's never been bothered by rain, though.
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:54 pm

Kuchar has never swum - even on the hottest day and given that we have easy access to a nice little stream and he has seen his best doggy friends splashing about in it, he won't dip a paw. He will NOT go for a walk in anything worse than the finest drizzle. He will tiptoe disdainfully through a shallow puddle only if there is no alternative. He will not allow any sluicing of muddy paws under any circumstances.

So you can imagine with what trepidation we approached the problem when he had rolled himself exuberantly in some particularly stinky dog mess. With kind loving words we lowered him into the bath and gently played warm water onto him from the shower, followed by a thorough body massage with a good dog shampoo and rinse.

He loved it!
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:01 pm

rolling on floor 

You'll have to take him to a warm spa - he obviously doesn't like cold water!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:03 am

Axel and Spike don't even notice water - the plunge through puddles, pools, rivers, streams, don't care about rain (I have to yell to get them in as they usually get sopping and then shake it all over my antique server and chest. Baths are also not an issue.

Xan plunges through pools, puddles, streams, rivers, will happily jump in the bath but will not go out in the rain. If I put him outside he will scream infront of the door but will not go out into it. He once help his pee for 12 hours!

Missy, Sheba and Pugsley are basically the same. They do not get their paws wet in puddles and will only swim after me. If I don't go in neither do they. Sheba and Pugsley tolerate baths, Missy you have to lock out the bathroom or she'll get in with you. They will only go out in the rain if they absolutely can't hold anymore.
Sheba will actually walk on her front paws with her bum in the air through wet grass. She plans her routes so she misses the tallest patches.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Wendy Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:09 am

Lol at Sheba!
Wendy
Wendy

Names of Dogs : Buster and Gus

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:38 pm

laughing

Demps used to have a real phobia of water!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:03 am

laughing they can be strange at times.

My two don't really like the rain. Millie will plod along and put up with it But Bella after a few mins often starts cowering or jumping up at me. You would think they should be used to it, we're in the west coast of Scotland  rolling eyes  Millie likes to paddle and splash in water and might swim a little bit but trying to get her in a bath is almost impossible. The whole room ends up flooded. Bella tried swimming once and went down like a stone so she won't even put her toes in the water now but she is ok with a bath. Once she's been lifted in she will shake for a minute then realise it's not so bad happy
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:39 pm

Aww, bless! tongue
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

laughing she's daft.
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:30 pm

laughing They all have their little quirks, don't they?
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down