All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

May have found out why Dempsey keeps 'scooting'

5 posters

Go down

May have found out why Dempsey keeps 'scooting' Empty May have found out why Dempsey keeps 'scooting'

Post by Eleanor Fri May 30, 2014 12:43 pm

He has two scoots - one where he'll rub his bottom on the floor and another where he'll do a seal position and rub his genitals back and forth against the floor.

He's been doing the latter a lot recently and I think it's a UTI. He was on the sofa just now and suddenly woke up, sniffing towards the back end of his body. My first thought was that he'd passed wind and was checking himself out. Usually, he just goes to sleep again. After about five/ten minutes of this though, he suddenly jumped down to the floor and started madly scooting and growling. Poor thing had peed himself on the sofa as well.

I cleaned him up and let him downstairs to go to the toilet and he seems alright now, but looks like a vet trip might be in order!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

May have found out why Dempsey keeps 'scooting' Empty Re: May have found out why Dempsey keeps 'scooting'

Post by Shisa Fri May 30, 2014 2:06 pm

Poor Demps.
Hope it's not too serious.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

May have found out why Dempsey keeps 'scooting' Empty Re: May have found out why Dempsey keeps 'scooting'

Post by Eleanor Fri May 30, 2014 2:41 pm

Doesn't seem to be. We're going to keep an eye on him for today and see how he is. It may just be because he often splashes Little Dempsey when he lifts his leg, so it could have caused irritation. Better to be safe than sorry though!
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Fri May 30, 2014 6:00 pm

Try some cranberry tablets for a few days.
It works like magic for a UTI and again is natural so won't harm him.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri May 30, 2014 7:13 pm

Beat you to it! laughing
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Fri May 30, 2014 7:52 pm

Just an ignorant thought - would a dash of bicarbonate of soda in his drinking water help at all?

Get well soon Dempsey  hug 
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Eleanor Fri May 30, 2014 7:58 pm

It's supposed to work, but it can also upset the digestive tract for dogs with sensitive stomachs, so I wouldn't want to try it with Demps - never know how he'll react! tongue

Thanks! hug
Eleanor
Eleanor

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Fri May 30, 2014 8:15 pm

The little bugga's always got something wrong with him. laughing 

I'm going to see what he's like tomorrow, and if he's ok, then over the weekend. I'll get some cranberry juice or tablets (whichever I can get) and see how it helps.

I'm wondering if it's actually a chill because his tum seems a little upset as well. He's gotten wet so many times recently, and he will then lay in draughts!
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Shisa Sat May 31, 2014 3:49 am

Poor Demps and poor you guys.
Cranberry juice would be better but I don't think you'll get him to drink enough.
Shisa
Shisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Sat May 31, 2014 7:07 am

I'm still more inclined to think it's a chill. He pooed in the house last night, and was desperate to get out this morning when my oh left for work at 5am (ungodly hour!).

He's fine in himself & is asleep on the sofa at the moment. I always try to avoid vet visits if I can because he gets so stressed, it upsets him for a couple of days afterwards, and he's got his annual health check coming up next month. sad 
Caryll
Caryll

Back to top Go down

Post by Caroline Sat May 31, 2014 11:30 am

Poor Dempsey. Get well soon  hug It's horrible when they're not feeling good.
It's good to know dogs can get cranberry tablets. I try to avoid the vet if I can as well if the dogs are eating, drinking and not in pain. It stresses them and most times I go I pay for them to tell me, yes it's what you thought and carry on doing what your doing  straight face 
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down