All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AVSAB Position Statement on the use of Dominance Theory in Behavior Modification of Animals

3 posters

Go down

AVSAB Position Statement on the use of Dominance Theory in Behavior Modification of Animals Empty AVSAB Position Statement on the use of Dominance Theory in Behavior Modification of Animals

Post by Caryll Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:40 pm

Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

AVSAB Position Statement on the use of Dominance Theory in Behavior Modification of Animals Empty Re: AVSAB Position Statement on the use of Dominance Theory in Behavior Modification of Animals

Post by LyndaW Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:18 pm

An interesting article, Caryll, thank you.

Still mulling it over ....
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

AVSAB Position Statement on the use of Dominance Theory in Behavior Modification of Animals Empty Re: AVSAB Position Statement on the use of Dominance Theory in Behavior Modification of Animals

Post by Shisa Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:18 am

I've never really believed in the whole dominance theory. With all these theories I think you should find what works for your training style and use it.
My dogs get attention when they ask for it, they climb on me and love sleeping on my lap. Yesterday I sat outside on the deck floor with Axel and Lequita all over me. I feel it makes our bond stronger and not that they're dominating me. I do implement the going out of doors first but that's just because there might be traffic and that there's 7 of them and I don't want to trip  tongue 

Only time I 'dominate' a dog is if there's a scuffle. I will pin the instigator to the floor and give it a very nasty talking to.
Shisa
Shisa

Names of Dogs : Xan, Daisy, Rusty, Missy, Sheba, Spike, Pugsley, Axel, Coco, Lequita, Bruno, Gypsy

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:52 pm

I must admit that I'm still very confused about the dominance theory, even after all these years.

I don't mean dominance in the context of "I'll thrash you if you don't obey me", just "I am the boss of you for very good reasons, and you are not the boss of me, for therein lies chaos".

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down