All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Three Reasons to Reconsider Neutering...

4 posters

Go down

Three Reasons to Reconsider Neutering... Empty Three Reasons to Reconsider Neutering...

Post by Caryll Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:02 pm

Very interesting & thought provoking article...

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/three-reasons-to-reconsider-spayneuter/

Although I suspect that a lot of vehemently pro-neutering people will dismiss it as unsubstantiated rubbish. happy 
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Three Reasons to Reconsider Neutering... Empty Re: Three Reasons to Reconsider Neutering...

Post by LyndaW Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:32 pm

Much food for thought here.

I suspect that many dog owners these days have been influenced by the current vet opinion (which is often strongly advocated) to spay/neuter at 6 months old, without investigating further. I absolutely do not agree with this current fad of vets for spaying/neutering before physical maturity.

I must admit that I had both my Dobermann bitches spayed at about 3 years old. I coped with the mess (and this was before the nappies were available) and the attention from stray or escaped dogs, but what was hard to bear was the misery they inevitably suffered after each season with false pregnancies. So they were spayed and were a lot happier. But my first bitch developed urinary incontinence and the second bitch hypo-thyroidism (alleviated successfully but expensively by thyroxin for the rest of her life). Both bitches died of bone cancer at 10 and 11 years respectively.

As for Kuchar, the first male dog I have owned (a Staffie), it was a different kettle of fish. By this time the " neuter at 6 months old" propaganda was in full swing. But to their credit, my vets didn't press it or try to bully me, and I sought other peoples' opinions and read the internet and resolved to hold off castration until at least he was physically (and hopefully mentally) mature, and maybe not even then. But at 14 months old, younger than I had hoped but that's how it was, my gut feeling was that the time was right. Thank heavens he wasn't an ardent humper, but he was so often in a state of arousal that not only was it embarrassing but his "man blobs" covered every surface! Plus, his walks were a slow progression from one vertical point to another (which he marked, even when he ran out of marking fluid). Given that he was never, ever, going to get his rocks off in the conventional manner, I got him "done" and can't say that I regret it as he so much more relaxed and without stress.

I'm not a vehement pro-neuterer,but have just done what I thought was best for each dog.

LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Three Reasons to Reconsider Neutering... Empty Re: Three Reasons to Reconsider Neutering...

Post by Caroline Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:29 pm

Interesting article. Millie was my first dog and was spayed after her first season. She was supposed to be spayed at 6 months on the vets advice bit went onto season. Bella is going to be 3 in August and if she didn't have such a hard time with her seasons I don't know if I would have gotten her done.
Caroline
Caroline

Names of Dogs : Millie & Bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Caryll Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:39 pm

It's always a difficult decision to make (not for me because I don't have it done), and I don't think there's a clear cut yes or no to the argument. I Just think there's more to it than "Get your bitch done before her first season or she'll get mammary tumours & pyometra" and "Get your dog done asap or he'll hump everything, get testicular cancer & be aggressive".

Everybody should be made fully aware of the pros & cons, but vets just don't tell you, do they?
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Post by LyndaW Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:57 pm

No, they don't, Caryll.

In the olden days when I first had a dog, the accepted mantra was that a bitch should have one season before she was spayed, and a dog should be lifting his leg and be at least 9 months old.

Now I know what I know (thanks to the internet) I believe that this was still too young, but at least it was better than the current "do them at 6 months old" which is pushed at present.
LyndaW
LyndaW

Names of Dogs : Kuchar

Back to top Go down

Post by ella Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:12 am

I'm very much a only neuter if medically needed, then i have no problem with it. Otherwise they will stay intact plus i only intend to have males anyway
ella
ella

Names of Dogs : harvey and chance

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down