All Breeds Dog forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting your dog to walk nicely on the lead

3 posters

Go down

Getting your dog to walk nicely on the lead Empty Getting your dog to walk nicely on the lead

Post by Caryll Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:09 pm

There are several methods, but I've found the following to be one of the more successful ones...

Firstly, make sure you have plenty of treats or a squeaky toy with you!

Start off with your dog on whichever side you want him to walk. Then step off smartly with a key word such as "Heel" or "Close". As soon as he pulls ahead of you, give the key word and turn sharply & walk back the other way, giving a little tug on the lead as you do it. When your dog reaches your side give the key word again & turn back the way you were originally walking. This time, when he catches up give him a treat & plenty of praise.

Do this every time he pulls ahead & he'll soon get the idea! You'll take ages to get anywhere & people will think you're mad, but who cares? It works! happy

Last edited by Caryll on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Caryll
Caryll

Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Getting your dog to walk nicely on the lead Empty Re: Getting your dog to walk nicely on the lead

Post by Eleanor Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:18 pm

thumbs up 
Eleanor
Eleanor

Time Online : 5m 1s
Names of Dogs : Dempsey

Back to top Go down

Getting your dog to walk nicely on the lead Empty Re: Getting your dog to walk nicely on the lead

Post by tracyp Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:38 pm

Oh... I hate to think of the amount of times I've looked the fool when training in the street. shocked Though most people see you're training and are lovely while you look like an idiot. laughing 

That's very similar to what I do. Try to walk ahead & it's.... ah, ah,ah! I just stop walking. I dont turn back, I just stop the dog moving forward till it settles & pays attention to what I'm doing. Once focused.... "heal"... it can take some time to get up the road but well worth it.
tracyp
tracyp

Names of Dogs : Jessie & Tyson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down